Discus

firestorm

I just recently switched the substrate in the 90 gallon SA tank from gravel to playsand. It made the water so cloudy for days, and from all the filter rinsing and water changes I had to do, I basically had the tank recycle itself. Therefore it caused the ammonia levels to go up a little, then the nitrites went way up, causing me to have to do more water changes. It has been a couple of weeks now and all the fish are looking great and have their spunk back, we lost a couple of other fish but all of the discus managed to survive and look better than ever. There are 7 discus all together, and none of the pictures show the same one except for the odd one where another just happened to get in the picture :) The yellow and orange discus are the same size of about 2 1/2" in diameter, the 2 snakeskins and the snow white are also similar sizes which is about 3 1/2", and the 2 wild caughts are about 6" in diameter.

DSC01727.jpg

DSC01729.jpg

DSC01730.jpg

DSC01731.jpg

DSC01732.jpg

DSC01733.jpg

DSC01734.jpg

Thank you. Yes they are great. I never would have thought a year ago that I would be keeping discus. They are definitely a joy to keep and look at, so for any of you who would love to get them someday, I highly recommend it. The only problems I really ever had with them is getting them to eat after getting them, but there are ways to encourage them. The 2 snakeskin types even eat out of my hand when I am feeding them bloodworms, they are just like the angels and get right in there pecking at the block I have in my hand :) It is the best reward when they get to know you and come right up to the side of the tank when they see you, they are very smart fish.

Edited by firestorm

Beautiful fish. We have 2 snakeskin as well, the female is about 4"dia and the male is about 5.5" dia, and they are certainly fiends for the bloodworms. We also have some tiger stripe blue sapphires, one of them is named Runt, because he's so much smaller than all the others from the same hatching, but Runt eats the most of any of them. They definately recognise different people when they come close to the tanks.

The smallest ones I purchased from pisces about a month ago now, the yellow one is still really shy. I mostly get all my discus from either golds or pisces, though I find golds to have much better quality. The snow white discus I got from golds and they were all very very white with no markings on them whatsoever, yet I have seen the snow white ones at other places but they all were not as good of quality. My wild caught discus still don't eat much of the other foods I try to feed them, even though I only feed them bloodworms about once or twice a week. But they are all still doing really well, and I cannot believe how hardy they have been compared to some other types of fish we have bought.