compitition between plants.

Raven

Could java moss out compete java fern? It looks like the moss is swamping the smaller ferns, what should i do? And is it a bad thing to have the moss growing close to the filter intake valvues? Would it grow up the tubing?

Well, that's another one of those loaded questions... Java moss in theory is a quicker growing plant than java fern - so yes it would generally be outcompeting the java fern for nutrients... But in proximity one would generally be more concerned about the java moss smothering and taking all light away from the fern.

Now, of course plants do have built in mechanisms when such things occur - the java fern will get really lanky and grow upwards pretty darn quick.

So if you want to keep the plants looking roughly the way they do (lanky java fern doesn't really look that great) one would be best advised to do a little pruning to avoid such problems.

As far as moss and the HOB filter tubes... you can generally trim the uplift tubes so that they're father away from the plants. But java moss is relatively well known for jamming up impellers. So again, maintenance is needed.

Andy

I have java moss in my 5.5 gallon, and it grows like a !$@!$. IT constantly jams the intake tube, either in the tank, or further inside, because yes, it can grow a bit inside the tube.

On a AC of any time, its easy to clean. You just turn it off, dump all the water out, turn the motor of (It should twist one way, rather easily). Then grab the impeller and gently try to pry it out. Straight out. Then clean the impeller, the magnet, and what I do is take a q-tip and clean where the magnet and impeller slide into, to make sure it gets max speed. I have to do this about every month, as it drastically slows down the flow if you don't keep on it.

With my javamoss, I just grab it (avoiding my shrimp), and tear a large, about 75% of it off... throw it in a fry tank, and then let it either grow there or die there. Within 2 months, my 5.5 is over flowing with java moss again, and I repeat the process, throwing out any crappy parts

Ty