Wanting to start a new planted 33g.

Kayen

This summer i want to convert my 33g fw into a planted tank. The dmensions are 36 x 12 x 16(or 18).

It's already running with alot of guppies and a few straggler fish, such as One gold gourami, a pair of zebra danios, and a bloodfin tetra.

I plan to be using Hygrophila Polysperma, Rotala Rotundfolia, and Limnophila Sessiflora which i already ahve growing in my 2.5g.

For substrate i'm going to probably have a peat bottom like in my 2.5 (seems to be doing great!), and cap it with pea gravel and fine gravel mixed.

I'd like to thin out the guppy population a bit more, and tthat's it for stocking.

My concern is lighting i want it to be relatvely low light, probably around 1.8-2 wpg, what fits best for this bill?

Oh and i want to stick it in my current hood (reftrofit).

My concern is lighting i want it to be relatvely low light, probably around 1.8-2 wpg, what fits best for this bill?

Oh and i want to stick it in my current hood (reftrofit).

Here are screw-in lights (CFL) that might work in your hood.

http://www.sunblasterlighting.com/cfl26watt.html.

I bought 4 of these lights for $20 at All Seasons hydroponics shop in Edmonton. :)

Would the equivalent spiral (phillips dayligth 27 watt) work as well? If yes i'll probably do 2 x27watt spirals + an additon 9watt 5000k for afternoon burst.

The important thing would be to make sure that the Philips bulb has as good a light spectrum as the SunBlaster bulb. Don't just compare the color temperature (i.e., 6400K). The SunBlaster bulbs are specifically designed for plant growth.

My wife and I just started using their T5-HO's. So far, I am quite pleased with the results.

The important thing would be to make sure that the Philips bulb has as good a light spectrum as the SunBlaster bulb. Don't just compare the color temperature (i.e., 6400K). The SunBlaster bulbs are specifically designed for plant growth.

Household compact fluorescent bulbs aren't the best for plant growth. They have lots of green and yellow wavelengths so they appear bright to the human eye, but very little of the red and blue that plants need. The sunblaster looks like a good choice.