CO2 refill in north calgary?

DaveDude77

Hi all,

Anybody know where in the north east of Calgary I guy can get his CO2 tank refilled? It's a 35lb tank. There's no rush right now as I still have about 800psi in it. That should last a while. I've sent an email to Liquide Gas Canada but they've not got back to me. The wife contacted BOC (they fill the tanks at her work) and they said they would want to hold it for a week to test it first. I don't know if I want to be without my tank for a week.

Any suggestions would be great?

Hi all,

Anybody know where in the north east of Calgary I guy can get his CO2 tank refilled? It's a 35lb tank. There's no rush right now as I still have about 800psi in it. That should last a while. I've sent an email to Liquide Gas Canada but they've not got back to me. The wife contacted BOC (they fill the tanks at her work) and they said they would want to hold it for a week to test it first. I don't know if I want to be without my tank for a week.

Any suggestions would be great?

I contacted Liquid Gas, Prax Air and Airgas. In general they do not refill CO2 bottles. Airgas (I think) said they would exchange mine for a full one. The ONLY place I found in Calgary that would fill my bottle was Sprouse fire and Safety on 9th Ave Downtown. Isn't very convenient but it was the cheapest and only solution I found. It did take them 3 days though, they only fill once a week.

I have had my 5lb filled at Praxair and Air Liquide (both are in the Foothills Industrial Park, SE). They may say they don't do it, but if you show up with the tank, I'm sure they will. Probably a real PITA for them when some yahoo wants one little tank filled since they're usually dealing with larger volumes and commercial accounts. I still had to leave it overnight since they fill first thing in the morning.

Sprouse is a much closer drive and cheaper to fill. They also do the hydrostatic testing that the tanks need every few years, so you'll probably end up going there eventually. They took the trouble to find and refit a 5lb cylinder for me as a spare- now I'm not without CO2 while the other is getting filled. :)

energie: I'm not sure if the paintball places would recharge my tank. It's a 35lb tank so I can't see people walking around with one on their backs. :)

uwish & werner: Well Sprouse sounds like the place to check out. How much did you guys pay to get your tanks refilled, and how big where they? How much did they charge you for the 5lb spare tank?

Thanks as always, you guys are the best. :D

energie: I'm not sure if the paintball places would recharge my tank. It's a 35lb tank so I can't see people walking around with one on their backs. :)

uwish & werner: Well Sprouse sounds like the place to check out. How much did you guys pay to get your tanks refilled, and how big where they? How much did they charge you for the 5lb spare tank?

Thanks as always, you guys are the best. :D

I think I paid $40 for my 10lbs tank.

I think it was just under $20 to fill my 5lb?

I paid $80 for the spare 5lb tank (full). I think it was a fire extinguisher in it's former life, and had been refitted with the standard CGA 320 connector and newly hydrotested. I think I had paid about $30 when I had my old one hydrotested, so if you subtract that and the $20 fill cost, the tank itself was really only about $30. ;)

Thanks for the info, everyone. Hey werner, that sounds great. I can afford $80 to get this going. I take it that 5lb tank is your's now, right? Can you also tell from the following pic if this is a standard CGA 320 connector? I'm told I have a Max Grigg regulator if that helps any? I'm new to this pressurized tank thing. By the way, I say it's a 35lb tank because it's imprinted right on the tank itself (35lb 4 oz to be exact). When I bought it off humpty, he said it was a 20lb tank. Could he be right and I'm mis-reading this whole thing? :wacko:

The 35lbs is probably the weight of the cylinder itself- so when it's filled, they just weigh it to know how much CO2 went in. It should hold approximately 20lbs of CO2.

The CGA 320 fitting is the North American standard for industrial compressed CO2 cylinders, so that's probably what you have. If you were buying a European CO2 system for example, you might have a problem getting it refilled, or getting a regulator to fit, etc. Paintball cylinders also have a different fitting.

I don't think Sprouse has used cylinders available all the time- I had to wait a couple/few weeks until they had one available, and then another week or so while it was refitted. I'm not sure if they can get larger sizes or not; I use the 5lb ones because they fit under my tank.

I found 2.5 pound bottles from a home soda pop making kit that I use as spare tank during refills. The soda pop company is called Soda Express. Some beer making stores also sell CO2 bottle for the home making of beer.

A 20 pound bottle of CO2 (or propane) holds 20 pounds of product and the tanks weigh about 15 pounds making a full bottle weigh 35 pounds.

You could always pick up a bottle of Seachem Excel to use instead of CO2 until your tank gets filled. If the hydro test date is older than 5 years, it might be a while until you get your tank back.

Take your old washer with you so you can get a new one unless you are using a Perma-seal.

Edited by byte

• 7 years later...