Managing Zoanthids

mothership

A big thanks for helping me identify my hitchhiker pom pom crab. Now that I'm part of the community I have another question that has been bugging me lately.

A little while ago I got a small colony of green and orange zoanthids that I attached to a peice of 6 lbs peice of live rock. Now the rock has a smooth surface and recently the zoanthids have been growing like crazy. I also upgraded my lights during this time as I've now have some sps corals that required better light, but my zoas are growing outward on this rock at about 0.5 to 1 cm a week. If left alone these will spread to my other rocks (which I don't want) but I've heard they're also toxic to other corals. Since I've started to have more sps and lps in my tank I've heard that you shouldn't be mixing hard corals and soft corals, so I'm wondering how do I manage to halt the growth or slow it down. Do I just scrape off the zoas (but releasing toxins in the tank at the same time) or do I have to get a new rock and find a new home for these zoanthids?

Thanks again,

mothership