Lighting for 36" 50 gal Tank

serratus

Hello Alberta Aquatica members, this is my first post.

I am completely new to keeping an aquarium but have somehow convinced myself that I should start out with a 50 gal reef aquarium (36"x18"x18").

I've been doing a lot of research on this for the past week and have learned so much and it has only made me more interested in the hobby.

The only thing that sort of holds be back is how expensive the setup is.

I plan on having anemones and have read and heard that they need pretty intense lighting. Some say I need TWO pairs of 36" T5's and some say I need THREE pairs (each pair being one 10,000K and one actinic). The two pair four light setup is over $300 (although someone mentioned you can get them for $200 new), so I am considering making the light canopy myself.

Now here is where I'm a little confused.

There's regular T5's, high output T5's and very high output T5's, is that correct?

Do these bulbs all require different kinds of ballasts?

Are all the parts available at hardware stores like Rona or Home Depot?

What are some of the things I need to watch out for?

Any tips and advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

Weiyang

Though i'm relatively nooby, i've been looking around at T5HO's forawhile, i haven't seen many T5VHO's, and they're rather pricey.

I'm not sure for anemonies but try the 6 bulb setup.

Here is a good fixture @ JLAquatics ..

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/sl-t5tl3...2C+6+x+39W.html

Those do not come with bulbs, but the build quality is really good, especially on the reflectors, which will give you more bang for the buck.

The retrofit kits for 2x39w (3 ft T5HO comes in 39 w) from the same company cost $142, and x3 = $426, just a bit shy of the fixture itself, so might as well get the fixture.

All the different types of bulbs would require different ballasts, as each has it's own different running specs.

As for Home Depot / Rona , i have not seen any T5HO lighting on it, and i don't think T5NO would be adequate.

What is a retrofit kit exactly?

Is it just the ballast and connection without the reflector and cooling fan?

The name "retrofit" kind of confuses me and I had thought that they meant lighting setup for older fluorescent bulbs.

Kayen >> You suggested the 6 light fixture. Is it in your opinion that for anemones, i need 6 lights instead of 4?

The TEK supply kits includes wiring, reflectors, and the ballasts.

Just find a place to put it , wire it, and then throw in the bulbs and you're good to go.

And for anemones.. no clue... I haven't the slightest knowledge about saltwater setups.