Building a sump

rED O

I am going to be building a sump for my 430 gallon tank. I have been reading a little about how to do it like in booms topic. I want a sump like the one at aqua giant under there 450 gallon. I think a 90 gallon will suffice. I am not quite sure where to start as I have never made a sump. What kind of pump will I need for the size of sump and tank? Where do I start? all info welcome.

My first recommendation, which I have made before, is to just google search "DIY sumps" and similar terms. You'll be amazed at the info you get.

Dustin, before you decide that a "90 gallon will suffice" you need to consider a few things. Primarily the location the sump will be (under the main tank is most common), and how much room you have there. A typical 90 that is 24" high might be too tall. Carefully consider how the stand required to support your 430 will be designed and see what will fit.

Your next consideration is how large a sump do you really need? You need it to be able to hold enough bio media to deal with your fish load. That is different if your keeping a dozen larger messy fish, as opposed to a couple hundred smaller fish. The more fish you have, the more bio media you'll need to hold in that sump. Keep in mind that somewhere down the road you may want to change the type / amount of fish you keep.

The amount of flow you want to go through the sump is also a big consideration. With a 430 gallon, and a healthy 6 to 10 times volume for flow rate, your looking at between 2580 and 4300 gph to flow thru the sump. A largeish sump will be required so that you media isn't jam packed in there, restricting your flow rate.

To know how to set up the sump, you have to know how the whole system is gonna be designed. Are you having a single, dual, or even triple drains? If you have two drain lines from the main tank (I would suggest it), you'll need a sump long enough to have a line entering the sump from either end. That way the tank drain lines will go to opposite ends of the sump, the water will flow towards the middle of the sump, from where it will be pumped back into the tank. How long of a sump do you need for that? Well as far as I know there is no "rule", but I would go with a 48" long sump, either a 55 or 75 gallon tank would be my choice.

Choosing the pump simply comes down to your desired flow rate. Choose one that can move as much water as you want to filter in an hour, don't forget to take head hieght into account. There are several "head height calculators" available on the net, just search for it. I got my pump from Aquagiant, it's apparently the same patent as Eheim. We'll see how long it lasts for me.

Your next consideration is your plumbing. Quite simply it just relates to your flow rates again. I think I described my plumbing choices well on my 180 DIY post, so go off there if you like, and feel free to ask specific questions. There is a link there for calculating flow rates through plumbing as well.

Lastly, you need to look at how to arrange the filter media inside the sump. I look at it this way, it's a filter, just like a cannister, or a HOB or whatever. It's set up differntly but it does the same thing. The first thing you want to do is filter out the large debris, so first in line from the drain is coarse sponges. Then finer sponges. That will take most of the crap out of the water. Then you need your good healthy amount of bio media. After that, you can add some filter floss to polish, before the water gets pumped back into the tank. Keep in mind you'll need a place for a CO2 unit if you want one, and any other stuff. I have a single 250 watt heater in my sump, which is MORE than adequate enough to keep the 180 warm enough. Some people may disagree on this arrangement, but that's how I have mine, and in my opinion, it's the best way to do it. Other ways may work fine too.

My other recommendation is if your using an overflow, do some research on durso standpipes, and use those. There is a link in my post.

This will be a fun project for your Dustin, it sure was for me.

Feel free to ask specific questions as you go.

Hope this helps.

Boom :boom:

wow thanks Ryan. I was thinking of a 75. but I don't think hight is nessacary so I was going to buy some glass and make a 48x12x24 for a sump, so a 60 gallon. i will have a section for carbon, bio, macanical. i have lots to learn. I am going to put the sump under the tank witch is going to fit nicely under the stand and giving me room to work as well. I googled diy sumps and I got some decent links but nothing to helpfull. any site you like? I also will need to have a high gph for my messy large fish.

Edited by rED O

If you can fit it, think about a shorter and wider sump, the height doesn't do much. 48" x 18" x 18 or 20" high would be far better IMO. Something to consider.

Here are some links I used. The ones for salt water aquariums are no different for freshwater application.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

Link 5

There are many many others. Just keep googling different phrases, aquarium sump, diy aquarium sump, and if your looking for specific parts, say plumbing for example, search aquarium plumbing, sump plumbing, etc etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
HOWS THE SUMP COMING ALONG??

ANY PICS AND UPDATES???

I BOUGHT HAROLDS 70 GALLON SUMP! I AM NOT SURE HOW MANY GPH I COULD HAVE FLOWING THREW A 70 GALLON. I STARTED A TOPIC ON MFK AND SOME GUY HAS 1800 GPH IN A 55 GALLON. SO I AM LOOKING FOR 2000 PLUS, AND HAVE LOTS OF FILTRATION IN THERE. ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR PIPING SIZE TO ALLOW THE LARGE AMOUNT OF FLOW IN A 70 GALLON? ANY OTHER IDEAS?

It is the size of the plumbing that will affect your flow rate, not the size of the sump. I have 1400 gph running thru my 33 gallon sump.

To get you 2000 gph (real, after accounting for head hieght and other restrictions) your gonna want a pump that is rated at about 3000 gph. Then your gonna want a drain(s) that can handle that. So likely a single 2" or dual 1.25 or 1.5". There was a chart somewhere I linked to in my 180 project thread, I'll see if I can find it.

Ah, here it is Drain size calculator.

Have you thought about how your returns will be set up? Spray bars, etc?

I remembered too when I saw this post that you had asked me to see my sump set up. If you still want to, PM me and we can set up a time. I'm still at home for another week with the new baby.

• 2 weeks later...
It is the size of the plumbing that will affect your flow rate, not the size of the sump. I have 1400 gph running thru my 33 gallon sump.

To get you 2000 gph (real, after accounting for head hieght and other restrictions) your gonna want a pump that is rated at about 3000 gph. Then your gonna want a drain(s) that can handle that. So likely a single 2" or dual 1.25 or 1.5". There was a chart somewhere I linked to in my 180 project thread, I'll see if I can find it.

Ah, here it is Drain size calculator.

Have you thought about how your returns will be set up? Spray bars, etc?

I remembered too when I saw this post that you had asked me to see my sump set up. If you still want to, PM me and we can set up a time. I'm still at home for another week with the new baby.

sorry for the late reply. sure, shoot me a pm when your not busy and I could stop buy.