Fish are scared of new light!

Boom

I recently replaced the hood on my 10 gallon community tank. It used to be an old dual incandescent hood but one of the fixtures was broken and I didn't like the light put out from a single incandescent, despite trying several differnt bulbs.

So I bought a new eclipse hood with an 18" T8 florescent bulb in it. But every time I turn the light on in that tank, the fish loose all their color and do nothing but hide!

I added some floating plants (fake) to try to "shade" them a bit, but it doesn't really help much.

So what do I do? I like the look of lots of light, and it's my 23 month old son's tank and he likes seeing the fish out and about, not hiding.

Can I get a different bulb that the fish won't be so scared of? Recommendations?

I thought they might just get used to it but it's been 2 weeks and they haven't.

It is not a planted tank. The fish are: 4 Cardinal tetras, 9 Harlequin rasboras, 5 Rummy nose tetras, and 2 unidentified Cory's.

Boom :boom: