new pond

seastar

I am new at it all. I just put my pond in last fall so I have not had any experience with ponds as yet. But I can't wait to get started - if only it would quit SNOWING!!!

Where can I get seeds to start some pond plants? I am in NW Calgary.

Hi Pat- I can give you some Cyperus alternifolius (umbrella plant) if you want it. I've got it growing out the top of my aquarium. No seeds, but if you float a leaf in your tank for a while it will start sprouting new shoots- hopefully just in time for pond season.

I have some cattail seeds (and young plants if you happen to come into Edmonton some weekend), and can probably spare 5-10 marsh marigold seeds I can mail you (with growing instructions). Walmart also sells water lilly bulbs, but I never had any luck with them - you can get full grown plants from stores like Rona, Canadian tire, etc around May or so they bring in a tub with various floaters, submerged, and marginals.

Also Irises and canna lilies make good marginals plants - you can get the bulbs from walmart right now. I just plant them in a yogurt container until they sprout and then put them in a water lily pot with gravel for substrate. They grow well with half the pot in the water, or even with the pot rim even 4" under the water surface.

There are numerous nurseries that will start selling pond plants, usually around May. Not sure of any around Calgary, but there is an excellent one in spruce grove.

Another idea is to get native plants, they are hardy to our climate and grow well.

Hi Pat- I can give you some Cyperus alternifolius (umbrella plant) if you want it. I've got it growing out the top of my aquarium. No seeds, but if you float a leaf in your tank for a while it will start sprouting new shoots- hopefully just in time for pond season.

Yes, I would love some!!!