Floating, upright 7" goldfish

robin

HI, how long do goldfish live? My friend has had this guy for over 5 years and got it from her daughter.....

He is floating, upright, but his top fin is drying out because he stays right at the surface. The rest of his fins seem to look kind of shredded, so I thought maybe fin rot? No one is picking on him, he is in with tetra's and a few other huge goldfish.

Any tips? Bloat? Old age? What makes a fish so bouyant?

Robin

you should probably take that fish out of it's misery lol.

that sounds terrible.

i have no information other than that fish doesn't deserve to have such a brutal life lol.

i think you guys should do something!

HI Robin,

Goldfish can live ~10 years. So it's probably not old age. Is he able to go down and stay down under water or just pops back up? Is he eating/pooping?

Off hand,my guesses would be #1 - swim bladder infection, #2 - possibly constipation.

HI Robin,

Goldfish can live ~10 years. So it's probably not old age. Is he able to go down and stay down under water or just pops back up? Is he eating/pooping?

Off hand,my guesses would be #1 - swim bladder infection, #2 - possibly constipation.

is there anything we can do? for #1 or #2? If not, we must put him down, you are right........the other person who replied, either he gets better fast or we have to end his misery!!

Robin

HI Robin,

is there anything we can do? for #1 or #2? If not, we must put him down, you are right........the other person who replied, either he gets better fast or we have to end his misery!!

Robin

You haven't said if he is eating. Swim bladder disorders have a variety of causes, so treatment varies. One book I have mentions air-gulping when eating - treat by soaking food so it sinks. Also mentions infection - antibiotics. Constipation - 1 tsp Epsom salts to 5 gal water in hospital tank, starve 3-5 days until resumes normal behaviour, feed live or freeze dried for 1 week, return to normal tank. There are more possible causes.

From the Manual of Fish Health "If the affected fish seems very distressed or is unwilling or unable to feed then it might be kinder to have it put down."

I hope this helps. :(

i thought swim bladder infections make the fish sit at the bottom of the tank?

It makes them float.

And with this condition they never fully recover....anytime the fish will get stressed out it'll puff up like a balloon, it may be hard but I'd put it down.

It makes them float.

And with this condition they never fully recover....anytime the fish will get stressed out it'll puff up like a balloon, it may be hard but I'd put it down.

did some research on swim bladder infections

and apparently it goes both ways.

QUOTE:

Symptoms can include:

Either floats uncontrollably to the top of the tank, or sinks to the bottom.

It makes them float.

did some research on swim bladder infections

and apparently it goes both ways.

QUOTE:

Symptoms can include:

Either floats uncontrollably to the top of the tank, or sinks to the bottom.

That's true, but the sinking is often associated with a disease which causes wasting away of the fishes body. I'm just waiting for Jorg's or Neil's 2cents now.

She did some water changes, the fins look better, she can now swim to the bottom, but still stays mostly at the top. She has to fight to stay down...if she stays still she will float up. She is pooping. Melafix or what?

I am not an advocate of Melafix. I know some people swear by it.

If possible use a hospital tank and one of the broad spectrum antibiotics, off hand I couldn't say which I would use.

According to Manual of Fish Health, slowly increase the temperature ~5 C (9 F), dose the tank with antibacterial remedy and/or aquarium salt. May help, but many cases fail to improve.

Good Luck and hope it helps.

I find that adding epsom salts and aquarium salts seem to help with it in some cases. I know some fish (especially fantails) get it when the temp fluctuates, which is why fantails don't do so well in ponds up here.

I do a 25% water change, vacuum the gravel well and add the salts even if I suspect something is out of whack. The salt and an extra water change certainly doesn't hurt.

The fish is doing much better on the floating part, but now he is pooping skinny strands...... I guess we will see, we did add salt and do the water changes, and he is better...

Someone told my friend that frozen peas help with consitpation? Anyone hear of that before?