book suggestions please

I am thinking about turning my 55g into saltwater, but I want to do a heck of a lot of research first. I would ask questions, but I have way too many to even organize them and I am pretty positive that a couple of books would answer a lot of my questions. As it is I can't figure out half of those abbreviations....

Can anyone suggest books on saltwater fish, inverts, corals, and/or basic saltwater theory? I need a good beginners basic book with good information for starters. I am also looking for a book that deals specifically with corals and inverts, and one for saltwater fish for aquariums.

They need to be a a more beginner level - though I have kept fresh water tanks for 10 yrs I have never even glanced a salties due to fear of being hooked when my budget wasn't up to it :D .

I am thinking about turning my 55g into saltwater, but I want to do a heck of a lot of research first. I would ask questions, but I have way too many to even organize them and I am pretty positive that a couple of books would answer a lot of my questions. As it is I can't figure out half of those abbreviations....

Can anyone suggest books on saltwater fish, inverts, corals, and/or basic saltwater theory? I need a good beginners basic book with good information for starters. I am also looking for a book that deals specifically with corals and inverts, and one for saltwater fish for aquariums.

They need to be a a more beginner level - though I have kept fresh water tanks for 10 yrs I have never even glanced a salties due to fear of being hooked when my budget wasn't up to it :D .

Hmm, there are a lot of books out there, Julian Sprung has a bunch of good books. This is a good one for corals.

Aquarium Corals

You can also check out websites. I like www.canreef.com.

When I started my first tank I bought a book called "The Nano-Reef Handbook" by CR Brightwell. There is even a section that tells you exact equipment, amount of live rock, what livestock,..... to start a tank. It's a good book for beginners.

nano_reef.gif

When I started my first tank I bought a book called "The Nano-Reef Handbook" by CR Brightwell. There is even a section that tells you exact equipment, amount of live rock, what livestock,..... to start a tank. It's a good book for beginners.

nano_reef.gif

I agree, that is a good book. I bought that one as well.

Thanks, I will have to find those books. I had better read a lot so that when I do ask questions I don't sound completely clueless. ;)

That nano one sounds interesting, I was not intending to do one under 15g, but the 55g isn't too far off compared to the books that deal with 125g and up.

I will have to find that coral one, most of my confusion/questions revolve around the corals and (inverts?).

-I assume the polyps, mushrooms, softies, (and hard corals?) etc. all fall under inverts? but snails, crabs, etc are also inverts. Is there a different grouping name to keep them separate?

I would definately look for a begginners book on tank care and take your time because patience is key to a SW tanks health.

Button polyps, mushrooms, hard corals (LPS, SPS) are all coral. Inverts (shrimp) are very sensative to poor water conditions. It's better to start with a simple CUC and a hardy fish.

SW tanks can be expensive but anyone that's taken care of fish can justify these costs when they look into their own reef tank.

I would definately look for a begginners book on tank care and take your time because patience is key to a SW tanks health.

Button polyps, mushrooms, hard corals (LPS, SPS) are all coral. Inverts (shrimp) are very sensative to poor water conditions. It's better to start with a simple CUC and a hardy fish.

SW tanks can be expensive but anyone that's taken care of fish can justify these costs when they look into their own reef tank.

They are expensive to start up initially, but once that is done and stable it really isn't much more than a freshwater tank