the best way to add sand to a tank?

therealshark

i have a 72g reef tank going right now but i am upgrading to a 150g with a 30g sump and want to put my LR on the glass and add the live sand after but am unsure of how to do this properly. i need to also add my fish and corals at the same time, or would it be best to just make all new water.

any info would be great, thanks

i have a 72g reef tank going right now but i am upgrading to a 150g with a 30g sump and want to put my LR on the glass and add the live sand after but am unsure of how to do this properly. i need to also add my fish and corals at the same time, or would it be best to just make all new water.

any info would be great, thanks

I would use silicone to secure live rock to the glass. My only worry would be that by the time the silicone dries anything on the rock will be dead.

A second idea might be to use egg crate and zip ties then somehow secure the egg crate to the back.

When I upgraded my tank I put all new water in the tank and ran it with some live rock in there for a few days. Then just drip acclimated everything and as the water drained out of the new tank I would scoop water from the old tank into the new tank. By the time everything was acclimated the water in both tanks was the same. I also put all my corals on the bottom and drained the water until it was just over the corals.

If you need some help I am in Taber and can give you a hand.

hey ryan...thanks for the reply but i already got this done. i started with new water and new live sand, took a full day to acclimate and move everything into the new tank. didnt loose anything and everything seems to be doing good. was worried about ammonia and nitrites but they are at zero, with only a trace of nitrates.

now i need to fill it up a bit more, heres a pic

post-4115-1241410516_thumb.jpg

hey ryan...thanks for the reply but i already got this done. i started with new water and new live sand, took a full day to acclimate and move everything into the new tank. didnt loose anything and everything seems to be doing good. was worried about ammonia and nitrites but they are at zero, with only a trace of nitrates.

now i need to fill it up a bit more, heres a pic

NICE!!!! I am very jelous I lost my Flame Angel this morning and am wanting a replacement. Poor guy must have gotten stuck in the rock and couldnt get out.

I would love to see your tank in person. Here is a shot of mine. That much rock looked good in my 15 Gallon but in this 24" tall 40 Gallon I need more rock.

100_3449.jpg

No substrate bare bottom. I like to feed too much to have substrate, the bare bottom make for easy clean up. I am thinking of adding a Silicone aragonite mixture for a bottom if I decide to to take the tank down to be resealed.