UV Sterilizer For Reef Tank

Not so good at combating algae but a really good idea for combating parasites like ich. if you want to combat algea set up a refugium either in the tank or if you can underneath. You dont want too much GPH through it so a separate tank is bet IMO.

I have seen external ones done 2 different ways. One the fuge is over the aquarium and water is pumped from the sump into the fuge which then overflow directly in the tank. You hear about people setting up refugiums to help with pod populations well this is the best way to get live one from the fuge into the main tank. The second the fuge is set up above the sump and empties into the sump.

You could make one of your sump chambers a fuge but there is too much water going through it for it to be any good.

Also a Reactor such as a Two Little Fishies with phosban would help.

What type of readings are you getting with your Phosphates and nitrates?

Edited by RyanGSP

I am unsure on what my Nitrate and Phosphate readings are as i do not have a test kit for that. I setup one of my sump chambers as a refugium. It has a light on it with a few pieces of live rock. Im thinking about adding some more live rock so that more Macro algae can grow. But the sumps walls are covered in algae. Also, is sand necessary in a refugium? What size of refugium would you recommend for a 70 gallon?

I am unsure on what my Nitrate and Phosphate readings are as i do not have a test kit for that. I setup one of my sump chambers as a refugium. It has a light on it with a few pieces of live rock. Im thinking about adding some more live rock so that more Macro algae can grow. But the sumps walls are covered in algae. Also, is sand necessary in a refugium? What size of refugium would you recommend for a 70 gallon?

Skip the live rock and find someone who is trimming some of their Chaeto(sp?) algea this is what most people use in their sumps with good results. I use Green Grape in my tank because I like the looks of it. Yes sand in the fuge is a good idea. I would say 2 or 3 inches.

You can make your fuge as big as you want. Personally I would use a 15 gallon with 2 T5's over it with 6700K bulbs or a couple of desk lamps with some plant grow bulbs. After all your not raising coral in there your trying to grow plants.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it will most likely be a 15 gallon. So 75-100 Gph? Where is the best place to get a small pump? I want to spend as little money on this as possible. If i were to sit the fuge over top the sump, i would probably need a container in which i could drill through. What do you think?

Well it will most likely be a 15 gallon. So 75-100 Gph? Where is the best place to get a small pump? I want to spend as little money on this as possible. If i were to sit the fuge over top the sump, i would probably need a container in which i could drill through. What do you think?

I would check out the canreef forums all you need is a small fountain pump. I would use a small rubbermaid container fi you dont care about seeing clearly inside.