How do I grow and root my new plants?

SomethingFishy

Traded an old filter for some plants cuttings, and I have a couple crypts (species unknown), camboma, and a sword. I just have them floating at the top of the tank now, but how should I root them?

Got a couple swords in my other tank and they are just inserted into the gravel and have taken root, one of them yellowed and had transparent old leaves so I cut it back and now there's bright green lush growth coming up, I assume that was the right thing to do. The other, a red sword, is growing great. Do these do ok rooted right into substrate? Is it normal to have to cut them back periodically?

Camboma ended up rotting away in my other tank, after growing like crazy at first, what did I do wrong?

Crypts I have no experience with, what should I do with these guys? How should I root them? I hear they like low light but is a good full spectrum bulb ok, or should I go for a dimmer light like flora-glow? (by the way, the flora glow bulb I had in other tank before really showed off the colours of my tetras beautifully, if you don't mind the slight yellowish cast - the brighter light of a sun glo makes them looked washed out).

Plan to put some barbs in this tank eventually, but want the plants to be ok first. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

H

Sounds like you did fine with the swords, and the crypts can be planted the same way. Remove any damaged/rotting leaves or roots and stick 'em in the gravel. You can trim the roots if they're too long to plant conveniently.

Crypts are notorious for "melting" after a tank move or change in water conditions, so if they disintegrate on you just leave them alone and they should re-grow. You don't need to change the lighting. "Low light" plants are simply more tolerant of low light levels- they will grow in higher light too.

Cabomba needs quite a bit of light. It's just kind of finicky too. You may want to try out Limnophila sessiliflora for a similar looking plant that's less demanding.

Some barbs will nibble at plants, so fine leaved stuff like Cabomba and Limnophila sessiliflora might not last anyways. :(