weight of a 230 gallon tank

i have a 230 gallon tank and am woundering if i can putit t want a 230 gallon tank on the main floor of the house as calculating the wieght of it to be roughly of 2300 lb and don't want it to go through the floor

not assuming any responsibility....what size are your floor joists? are you putting the tank against the outside wall? what direction do your joists go in relation to where you're placing the tank?

trev

it is against the outsidewall the joists would be going across the tank they are 2 by 8 s

you'll need a beam in the basement properly supported. 2x8 have a low sheer rate. You won't need to go quite to the extreme i did but it will need to be done. Do you have construction experience? if not, i would recommend asking a carpenter or if you're doing it yourself you could consult a structural engineer....though they can be pricey...without plans, just a consult about 150.00.

You are welcome to come and see what I did here if you're in the edmonton area. I put a 300gal in a similar situation.

trev

cool ty i have done abit of construction but not that much i think i will put it in the basement if i decide to get it

probably the best idea to avoid construction lol. I even had to reinforce the floor under my 120 gallon in this place.