Plants for a 10g...

kkaiser

I am thinking about putting a few plants in my 10 g. I have a couple of male leopard guppies in there right now. Just wondering what some good plants are for a newbie like me? Also, if there are any recommendations for a small algae eater that won't harm the plants, I would appreciate the feedback! Thanks!

Shrimps such as cherry shrimp are easy, and they'll breed quite a bit just like the guppies. They won't harm plants.

Otocinclus would work too but need to be in groups of at least 3-4 .

Plants: Java ferns & Anubias are easy plants albeit slow plants, fast growing stems like hygrophila polysperma and limnophila sessiflora would make a great choice as well, easy to maintain.

Shrimps such as cherry shrimp are easy, and they'll breed quite a bit just like the guppies. They won't harm plants.

Otocinclus would work too but need to be in groups of at least 3-4 .

Plants: Java ferns & Anubias are easy plants albeit slow plants, fast growing stems like hygrophila polysperma and limnophila sessiflora would make a great choice as well, easy to maintain.

how many shrimp would be enough without crowding my tank? Or if I went with the Otocinclus and got 3 or 4 would that be too many with my guppies? No plans for breeding anything yet...one step at a time!!!

hygrophila polysperma and,,,, easy to maintain.

I agree , and I have said it before some of that hygro will grow by candlelight..

And I am making an assumption here, as most ten gallons will not get much light.

Shrimp are relatively cheap and easy to find just plop them in.

And uh shrimp contribute very little to the bioload, so with a well planted tank, the tank can handle quite a number of shrimps - i would say 20-30+, and if they're happy you'll be finding a good number of them .. free food i suppose for larger fish haha.

Shrimp are relatively cheap and easy to find just plop them in.

And uh shrimp contribute very little to the bioload, so with a well planted tank, the tank can handle quite a number of shrimps - i would say 20-30+, and if they're happy you'll be finding a good number of them .. free food i suppose for larger fish haha.

that is great thanks!!! my kids will love them and if they start to crowd I guess they become stingray food for the bf's collection!!! lol

hygrophila polysperma and,,,, easy to maintain.

I agree , and I have said it before some of that hygro will grow by candlelight..

And I am making an assumption here, as most ten gallons will not get much light.

thanks! I will look up these plants. my tank gets a fair amount of sunlight as it sits in the dinning room. very little direct sunlight but enough light during the day that I don't need any tank lights.

very little direct sunlight but enough light during the day that I don't need any tank lights.

I may change my vote to plastic

just because there isn't very much direct sunlight? because that can be changed. all i would have to do is open the curtains. how many hours of direct sunlight would be optimal?

First I have never tried it. Also we know this.

• windows do not provide overhead light
  • sunlight varies in intensity
  • the sun is gone by 4 in the afternoon during winter
  • NO ONE gets more light in Canada than right here in Medicine Hat Alberta

By all means give it a burst--- Try EVERYTHING ----- @ least once :eh:

Very good points made. Apparently I have forgotten most of what I learned in science class. Haha. So a combination of sunlight and tank lights would be the best? Sorry for all the pesky questions but I don't want to do any of this until I feel confident that I have researched enough...

Very good points made. Apparently I have forgotten most of what I learned in science class. Haha. So a combination of sunlight and tank lights would be the best? Sorry for all the pesky questions but I don't want to do any of this until I feel confident that I have researched enough...

Yeah.

Don't let too much sunlight get through.

I'd say ideally around 1 hour / day , but tank lights for rest of the tank.

A simple desklamp with a 13w spiral daylight bulb would probably be plenty for those plants.

Yeah.

Don't let too much sunlight get through.

I'd say ideally around 1 hour / day , but tank lights for rest of the tank.

A simple desklamp with a 13w spiral daylight bulb would probably be plenty for those plants.

Awesome. Thanks guys!!!

My one 10g has two 25watt bulbs and gets 2-3 hours of indirect sunlight, and about 1 hour of direct sunlight. I don't have too much problem with algae, but I do have a dozen spixi snails to help on that score. I had quite a few plants and they quickly out battled the algae. It has been in that location for 5 yrs.

Just my experience, as I know some people who have less sun and get pea soup...

Algae is all relative to the type of excess nutrients in the water. This include organic and inorganic form of the elements. If there is a high bio-load, there is a much higher chance of algae because there is way more organic nutrients in the water column which plants can't use. The smaller the bio-load and or feeding relative to plant, the better the algae control.

Plants that works really well for 10 gallon without a lot of light and stay relatively small are:

Anubias nana 'petite', fissiden fontanus, mosses, Utricularia graminifolia, saggitaria subulata, Echinodorus parviflorus 'Tropica', Crypt parva, Crypt wendtii varieties.

Amano shrimp (Japonica shrimp) are good at controlling black brush algae.

My one 10g has two 25watt bulbs and gets 2-3 hours of indirect sunlight, and about 1 hour of direct sunlight. I don't have too much problem with algae, but I do have a dozen spixi snails to help on that score. I had quite a few plants and they quickly out battled the algae. It has been in that location for 5 yrs.

Just my experience, as I know some people who have less sun and get pea soup...