Fry and Big Tanks

Shai

When is it safe to introduce older fry to a mature tank?

I have a young German Blue Ram who is quickly growing up, and until now she was too small to be in the big tank (55g). This fry wasn't bred in that tank; I bought her from another fishkeeper. Right now, from nose to tail the GBR is about 1.5". She's starting to get some adult color: her belly has definite pink and her blue speckles are starting to come out too.

The biggest threat in my big tank are my two Golden Wonder killis. The biggest of these is 3" long and somewhere between 0.3" and 0.5" thick at the head.

I have a few cories and some of them are about the same size as the GBR (maybe a tad bigger) and neither of my killis try to eat them. But, the cories were in the tank before the killis and of course the cories mostly stay on the bottom so the killis don't pay them much attention. The GBRs, on the other hand, while usually near the bottom, often like to swim all over too, and this fry is no exception. I'd really hate for either of the killis to try to make my fry into "lunch".

Additionally, I have a mature female GBR in this tank. Is she likely to beat up or kill the fry since it isn't hers? Or do you suppose maternal instincts could take over and she'd mother it while it finishes growing up?

Right now the fry is in a 5g tank by herself and I've started to become concerned that being alone is affecting her. But the tank is too small to add another fish to it and I don't trust any of the bettas in my 10gs to leave the fry alone either. I'm also noticing some electrical problems with the hood on this tank so I'd like to discontinue using it for the time being to be safe.

Thanks!

Edited by Shai

lol 1.5" doesn't look fair sized to me! My mature female is a heck of a lot bigger. I did net the fry to measure so I'm sure the size is right.

Anyway, I might try introducing her to the tank on Saturday so I can keep an eye on things and see how it goes.

I have put Ameca fry that size in with my Golden Wonders. They did not seem interested. Rams are higher bodied as well. Have you ever thrown any thing live to the killi's? They ( as I am sure you know) are FAST fish. You will know how it will turn out in about one half second,

So far so good! I introduced the little ram on Saturday. The big surprise was that as soon as she was out of the bag she made a beeline for Sheba (the mature female GBR) and attacked her! I think I will call the little fry Cleo (Cleopatra). Sheba was certainly surprised at being picked on by this little upstart. Cleo actually managed to chase Sheba around for a good ten or twenty minutes before Sheba remembered she's more than twice the size of the fry. One solid nip back and Cleo knew her place. :D Since then they've settled in fine.

I was nervous nearly all day any time I couldn't see the killis but in the end they don't seem to be interested. I'm hoping that by now if the big killi hasn't tried to eat Cleo it means he won't.

Cleo is definitely more active and has better color, so I think it was a case of being sick of being solitary in the 5g. Sheba is also always colored up now. A little competition never hurt. : )

Edited by Shai