help!!!!!!

baller403

my flowerhorn parrot(or kirin parrot) keeps laying on its side or stomach and refuses to swim around except when she goes after food or when she is spooked. she'll lay in one place for hours looking like shes dying but its been like that for months. it looks like shes having a real hard time swimming cuz all she manages to do is float for like 3 seconds..anyone know whats going on???

I have seen another parrot lay completely flat in order to get into a hiding spot. I asked the pet store, where it was at , I pointed the "dying" fish to the owner. She told me that this parrot has been doing that for a few months in a custumers tank too.

So it may not be that serious, but I have never owned fish like this.

Derek

Sounds like a swim bladder problem, possibly caused by water conditions. What size is your tank and how long has it been set up? What's your water change schedule? Have you tested your water lately?

its only a 45 gallon tank been set up for about 3 months with 50% water change every week , neveer tested the water. i have about 15 africans in there with 5 plecos a little overstocked maybe?

Sounds overstocked. If you have prime on hand or amquel you could try dosing with that daily as an emergency measure along with more frequent water changes until you get some of the fish out of the tank. If you could test for ammonia and nitrite, that could tell you if this is the problem.

Way over stocked. What kind and quantity of africans and plecos? I would get a drop test kit and post the exact results. With that size of tank, that many fish and the water changes it likely has not cycled completely and the water quality is poor. You're going to start loosing the weaker fish due to ammonia poisoning.

Can you rehome or return any of the fish?

Way over stocked. What kind and quantity of africans and plecos? I would get a drop test kit and post the exact results. With that size of tank, that many fish and the water changes it likely has not cycled completely and the water quality is poor. You're going to start loosing the weaker fish due to ammonia poisoning.

Can you rehome or return any of the fish?

[/quote

theres about 15 peacocks and haps range from 2 to 4 inches , majority being 4 inch, and a red streak severum. As for plecos theres a 5 inch vampire pleco two l95 orange cheeks a l18 gold nugget and a l114 red fin sternella. I will get another tank about 120 gallon to split up these fish, its gonna suck cuz the tank looks so lively but better that way than to lose these fish,.............. thanks for everyones help. heres a picture , you can see her just laying in the back

post-4128-1245310487_thumb.jpg