GBR lost his partner

robin

Hi there, i have a comm tank with 2 - well now one, german blue rams, 2 red rams, congos, glass catfish, killi's, angels, loaches and cory's. the pairs of rams are always 'paired up' and hang out on their ends of the tank near the bottom. one of my little gbr's died, and now the other is all alone....sob sob. sooooo, do i leave him be, or get him another gbr buddy. my concern is he is 2 years old, would a new or juvie one tick him off? i love the species and eventually will stock many more in this tank, but it is packed right now and no one has been added or died in over a year!!

Edited by robin

Sorry about your loss.

It's usually pretty difficult to "force" GBRs into pairing. Most often you have to let them pair up by themselves, by offering multiple females to one male and then removing the females that don't get picked.

What are the dimensions of your tank? You should only have 1 pair of rams for every two feet of length, and since you have cories the bottom of the tank is likely pretty crowded already.

would he be okay by himself? The tank is overstocked......

The tank is overstocked....would he be okay by with more??

We had a good chat about this pair before. I know it does not look the same right now because you enjoyed them so much. Now you are afraid that being alone may be unfair to him.

Perhaps the best way to make sure he is happy would be to spoil him with some exceptionally high quality food, a fresh change of water, some elbow room, and a nice bouquet of flowers, er - ahh- bunch of Hygro

:blush:

okay, okay, he gets nls, 50%water changes weekly, he has his own portion of the tank he has claimed and is respected, the tank is super areated, super loved, over filtered and...oh....i forgot the flowers....maybe one of his plants in his corner will bloom...

.i was wondering about the partner/buddy side of things. some really wealthy people with big homes and great food get lonely for the same kind. dogs don't always substitue.

i am venturing out of the community fish world and am learning about the types of fish that like to pair up. bear with me!!!!

:bang1: :bang1:

He will be fine by himself.

If the tank is overstocked you should work on rehoming some of the fish so that it isn't overstocked. Rams especially are sensitive to nitrates and need very clean water. With an overstocked tank you have no margin for error.

let's say heavily stocked then, don't get me wrong. the tank has had the same inhabitants, none added, none died for over a year. my rams are all well except for the one gbr. i have had him for quite a while. i just don't want to add any more juvies or too many more fish as it is just perfect right now. it is balanced and beautiful and healthy and i don't want to mess with it.