Finger-joint Pine for 33g. Stand?

My3KidsDad

It occured to me that finger-joint pine might be a great material to use for construction of a lighter stand for smaller tanks, say your typical 36"x12" 33g. tank. Finger joint pine is made as nice, flat boards at widths up to 3/4"x16"x 96" for shelving, bookcases etc. I am working up a design for a stand after a fruitless search for 33g. stand (36"x12") at the local stores. It needs to be big enough inside to keep all the food, filters and hoses, etc. out of sight. Anyone else interested in a construction project?

Update- Just talked to my friendly Windsor Plywood guy and he suggested that a his edge-jointed pine might possibly separate at a joint under heavy stess. He suggested other ways such as plywood, or spruce or pine boards. Designs in progress being considered.

As many people on this forum know, I do custom woodworking in my "spare" time.

I would suggest that the pine shelving you are talking about would not be your best choice. 3/4" plywood is a better choice, just make sure you protect the edges with glued on banding or lots of primer and paint. You don't want moisture getting between the plys.

Boom :boom:

As many people on this forum know, I do custom woodworking in my "spare" time.

I would suggest that the pine shelving you are talking about would not be your best choice. 3/4" plywood is a better choice, just make sure you protect the edges with glued on banding or lots of primer and paint. You don't want moisture getting between the plys.

Boom :boom:

From what I can see you do very nice work Boom. Thanks for the info about plywood and moisture.