apple snail dead?

Petunia

Could anyone please tell me if my apple snail is dead or not? yesterday he was closed up but when i touched his door he moved so he was still alive, but today when i came home from work he was in the same spot, but he was upside down.. i touched him a bit but he didnt seem to move any becuase he was already closed pretty tight. he didn't smell, and i've heard they smell horrible when their dead. i also tried pulling gently on his door, and have heard that if he were dead that his body would easily come out which it didn't. Is it normal for a snail to be upside down on the bottom of the tank? or could one of my fish maybe tipped him over? the fish aren't much bigger than the snail. Any information you could give me would be great.

Could anyone please tell me if my apple snail is dead or not? yesterday he was closed up but when i touched his door he moved so he was still alive, but today when i came home from work he was in the same spot, but he was upside down.. i touched him a bit but he didnt seem to move any becuase he was already closed pretty tight. he didn't smell, and i've heard they smell horrible when their dead. i also tried pulling gently on his door, and have heard that if he were dead that his body would easily come out which it didn't. Is it normal for a snail to be upside down on the bottom of the tank? or could one of my fish maybe tipped him over? the fish aren't much bigger than the snail. Any information you could give me would be great.

Mine often closed up for a day or two. Make sure their foot can reach an object (ie. aren't stranded)

You are correct. If you want to be certain he isn't dead - smell him. Honestly, take him out of the water and smell. If you have a weak stomach, have a bucket ready, a dead apple/mystery snail is by far the worst thing I have ever smelt...

If he is full, he doesn't have anywhere to go, then he is probably sleeping.

Edited by Crystal

i've raised 7 generations of apples now and when they close up like that i think it's a mini hibernation of sorts, something in the water is bugging them, or there are fish in the tank that are pestering them to the point where they don't want to come out of their shells and cruise around.

keep checking him to make sure he hasn't expired on you, using the 'pull gently on the trap door' method, or by smelling (and yes! a dead apple is the worst, most vile thing ever!). if he is often on his 'back' then keep turning him over so that when he comes out he can easily get into moving mode. if he stays closed up for more than a few days i'd bet something in the water is bugging him.