green candy cane coral "softness"

Cory K

i've got a green candycane coral i got from marine aquaria. they ahve been doing fine and with some questions i found no one really feeds them. the problem is that i had a diy power head that began to crap out and i bought a 1200 thats a 300 gph out put and now i have a much nicer flow in my tank but i moved around alot of my rock and such and in the last week my candy cane have begun to receed up the frag (as in the green hue is moving upwards like its dying) also the heads appear to be soft to the touch. i also actively view my tanks at night via flashlight and never once have seen these sweeper tentacles people talk about on forums or that are in youtube videos. im concered im doing something wrong but not sure what.

they are in a twenty gallon with ho t5's .

they are about 3-4 inches from surface and have medium current with irregular current movement.

they are over 4 inches from the nearest other frag and that is a little acropora.

the biggest change i can think of in my tank is i took out a rock and hacksawed it so it fit flat agianst the glass.

i use a drip system from a adjustable flow airline tube to keep water lvl up and salinity at proper lvls.

about two weeks i got a new frag and it rtn'ed on me also (shouldn't affect this though?)

any and all suggestions would be great!

Sometimes if you change stuff around changing the light, height, flow they get grouchy and wanna close up. If the circle is starting to pinch together and the mouth is getting oval it is going to split and you will have 2 heads. I feed mine once in a while with a turkey baster I blast them with cyclopleeze or with reef bugs once they get a taste the sweepers will come out....but I have gone months maybe even years without noticing a sweeper

Thanks , there mouths appear ok. one of the two current heads has a almost closed mouth now that i looking at that. should the neon green color come back to the stalk area when they settle down to the spot there in?

I had a huge colony that did that. It took a while but I finally caught my emerald crab eating them, but not until he'd destroyed about 90 heads. The crab didn't survive.

You don't have too much flow, my survivors are in a 33 with about 2500 gph turnover. When you feed your fish try turning off the flow, and leave it off for 15 minutes or so. Then check and see if you are getting any tentacle extension. If you do feed them some cyclopeeze, or mysis, mine also like NLS fry formula. Even if you don't get extensionw hile the pumps are off try setting some very small food on the mouth and watch to see if it is eaten. I feed mine all the time, but it is in an azoo tank I'm working on the critters in there like to eat continuously.

How long have you had it? Have you checked it for pests, bugs, worms, nudi's? I'm not sure what their pests are but that could also be the problem. Keep us posted on the progress, maybe someone can help. Good luck.

http://s952.photobucket.com/home/serrickalbum

Bwaa ha ha i won (after reading the help forums on pics! ^_^ )

These are the pics of it. i had to move it to get my camera to be able to focus. i moved it to what i think was a even better spot. so now its mid lvl and has indirect current

Edited by Cory K

That is a nice healthy Trumpet coral Caulastrea curvata sometimes mixed in the same name a Candy Cane Caulastrea furcata The tissue receading back towards the head off the stem it is probably stretching towards the light and pulling it back. MA probably had them under MH lights but T5 HO should be enough. Otherwise the pics you posed it looks fine I wouldn't worry

so i was looking up the wrong coral lol

cool thanks for that!, my vast concern was with the soft quality of the heads and the recession of color up the stalk. but if they pass grade im happy to not lose another critter to the learning curves of aquariums!