Amano Shrimp

NatureNut

I've had these shrimp for about 4 years, I think, and this is the first time they've succeeded, so I sure wouldn't consider it a breeding plan. LOL Good luck with yours!

I read an article claiming if amano shrimp are in hard water that 1 out of every 100000 eggs will reach adulthood in freshwater. Whether its true or not im not sure. But if it is true your a very lucky person and since you wasted your luck on a $3 shrimp you now have no chance of winning the lottery..

I read an article claiming if amano shrimp are in hard water that 1 out of every 100000 eggs will reach adulthood in freshwater. Whether its true or not im not sure. But if it is true your a very lucky person and since you wasted your luck on a $3 shrimp you now have no chance of winning the lottery..

Lolololol, I guess I'll keep buying lotto tickets then as I still have the same amount of Amano's today as I did 1 year ago.

That is very interesting. What is the TDS of your water Naturenut? Do you have the ability to measure it? Also, do you add salt to your shrimp tank?

I don't have anything to measure the disolved solids (assuming that's what you meant, and not technical data sheet, or tiny dominant stars haha). No salt is added. They are in a 30g freshwater community tank that is planted with low maintenance green things and gets its (sometimes infrequent :blush: ) water changes with H2O from the tap. The only thing that gets added beyond that is Prime.

We've always seen the females carrying eggs, but this is the first time we've seen an additional shrimp.

Yup. I did indeed mean Total dissolved solids.

I have 6 or so Amano, 3 females and 3 males, and my females are typically carrying eggs too. It would be an interesting project to see if they could be actively spawned wihout the processes that have been recommended in the past.

I note that you are living outside of Calgary, and possibly you are on well water? Do you know just generally if your water is very 'hard' or softer than say Calgary city water? Do you have a water conditioning system on your water supply to your taps?

I would guess that Ubroke has hit the nail on the head. You got the 1 in a million that survived. now if you could get 2, maybe they could start breeding in fresh water with their mutant ways! haha!

Thanks again for posting this. I find it very interesting.

Dan

We are not on well water, we're in a village. Our water is typically quite hard, but no water softener in the house. It isn't so hard that we get hard water deposits everywhere or anything, though. Just harder than most municipal water we've used in the past.

I will be keeping a close eye on the tank to see if we get a second offspring. ;)