Electric Catfish

425nm

Hey guys!

So I've been keeping an Electric Catfish for about a month now. I've read in a few places that they tend to spend most of their time at the bottom of the tank. While mine does spend time at the bottom lately he's been zipping around the top of the tank often in circles for hours on end. I was just wondering if this is uncharacteristic behavior for these guys? He's housed with a Convict and a young Green Terror in a 29 Gallon(I am quite aware that this tank size is far to small for adults, however at the moment the catfish is only 4inches and the convict & GT are about 3 inches). Though I'm considering trading or giving away the GT seeing as the convict has been having a go at his fins. Both the GT and the Convict actively avoid the Catfish whenever he swims anywhere near them. In the longer term, I'll only be keeping these guys a maximum of two years as I will be moving after get my undergraduate degree.

Prior to me owning him, the catfish lived with a colony of Convicts at a pet store. When I got him he was rather plump and hasn't dropped any noticeable weight.

(would love to upload a picture but apparently my photos are too large for the attachments)

The 29 Gallon tank with:

A 70 gallon Aquaclear over the side filter and a Fluval 4plus underwater filter both loaded with biomax and poly wool.

I use play sand as substrate so that the catfish can burrow under the driftwood and rocks(I am careful to make sure he can't drop any rocks on himself).

I do weekly water changes of at minimum 25% though it normally its closer to 50%.

Had my water checked recently and the ammonia, and nitrate levels are fine. Though I don't know about the pH.

Temperature is at 21C/78F.

I feed:

Hikari Gold mini pellets at morning and night as well as a combo of either frozen bloodworms, plankton, glass worms, or brine shrimp when I get home in the afternoon.

Edited by 425nm