Brown Algae/diatoms?

Caprichoso

In the last couple of weeks there has been a brown algae bloom in my freshwater tank. It's brownish-orange and when you rub it, it's like dust in the water (know what I mean?) Fairly new set up (3 months). It seems to be suffocating some of my plants and hornwort is dying off! Yes, HORNWORT! Lol....I'm trying like heck to keep the algae off all my leafy plants, arrrghhh!!

140g

FX5 filtration

10 hours of light

Two, 55 watt G11 lamps(hood has a reflector mirror)

Fert with Seachem Flourish- 2.5 capful per week

Weekly water change of 40%

Always add de-chlor and Stability bacteria starter

No CO2

Airstone(not sure if that's relevant, lol)

Hope I didn't leave out any info?.....

Is this common to a new set up? I've never had this issue before with other tanks. Please give me some advice...unsure.gif

Thanks in advance!

Diatoms are very common with new setups and even in old, well cycled setups where the substrate has been disturbed. This is my experience (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

They go away with time and the nice thing is that diatoms are munched on my many, many algae eaters. I know that otocinclus love diatoms. I believe that amano shrimp do as well.

My red rhino shrimp eat it, just not fast enough. As for my amano's....well, if they would just get off my drift wood for a second, maybe they would eat it too! I notice that my bamboo shrimp fan like crazy after I rub the algae off the leaves. Hmmmm, well hopefully it goes away soon, my plants are starting to really suffer from it.

Thanks for the input. smile.gif