Help Identifying Tail-Type?

BettaSlave

Usually I'm pretty good with this stuff, but I'm completely stumped.

Apparently he's a CT, but I'm really not sure. His fins need to grow out a bit, as he was in a shrimp tank. The only CT I see in him are his two elongated rays on his dorsal.

So here's Dallas, flaring away... sorry for the big pics. If you look at the second pic you can see his dorsal and the two longer rays.

On another forum, someone suggested delta... but I'm puzzled. Can anyone help?

Cutie011.jpg

Cutie024.jpg

Edited by BettaSlave

Sorry for the double-post, but have come to a conclusion he's either a delta/super-delta... hoping he'll turn into a HM once he grows out a little more... his caudal's pretty close.

how old is he? he looks about full grown, so i don't think his fins are going to grow out much more at all. just by looking at the photo he looks to be a delta or super delta plakat, due to the shorter finnage. the splitting of the rays at the end of his tail fin tell me he has some crowntail genes too.

he's from a pet store, eh? he could be a motley assortment of different betta tail types if so. pet store bettas are usually 'mutts', and you never know their exact gene pool.

ETA - in the first photo he isn't flaring fully, so he could very well be a HM. put a mirror up to his tank to see him flare all the way, and if his caudal fin edges make a straight line @ 180 degrees, then yes, half moon.

Edited by BettaFishMommy

Not sure. He came from Aquarium Central, and since they just opened up, think he might be not quite full grown. Of course, the fact that they just opened doesn't necessarily mean anything, but...

I think he might grow out a bit more, since the shrimp in his tank were nipping at his fins when I saw him and bugging him... and he's not quite a HM when he flares. He's kind of confusing. lol I'm hoping his fins will grow out a bit more though.

AvianAquatics- thank you. ^_^

Edited by BettaSlave

most stores get their bettas in at the 6 month age at the minimum, since it takes time for the finnage to grow in and nobody wants to buy a betta without the pretty fins. 6 months is getting close to full grown and also the start of breeding prime age. his body may gain in size but i think his fins will stay at plakat length.

he doesn't look to have any fin damage from the shrimp at all, and he is a pretty boy for sure!

Alright. I just assumed since he was in a tank full of nippy shrimps he would have some fin damage- I've heard too many horror stories about shrimps nipping fins.

Thank you! I think I'm going to start looking for a female for him, possibly breed him once I've quarantined him. He's such a character, I'm already very attached to him. :rolleyes:

Edited by BettaSlave

i personally wouldn't breed any betta that came out of a store, since they are such 'mutts' and you don't know the lineage or genes you are working with. there are so many pet store bettas out there already, why add to it?

as for nippy shrimp, i've never seen my green and cherry shrimp nip at one of my bettas' fins in the 2.5 gal, and he's a veil tail.

Edited by BettaFishMommy

I understand most people are against breeding pet-store bettas, but I don't see anything wrong with it. Unless, of course, you don't provide them with adequate homes.

I'm still deciding, though, not 100% sure yet.

And regarding the shrimp- I guess it depends on the shrimp. I've had a few friends/people on other forums have trouble with their shrimp.

Edited by BettaSlave