Improving Substrate For Plants

Raven

root tabs will help any plant that is a 'root feeder', like swords and crypts, regardless of the amount of light on your tank. stem plants take most of their nutrients from the water column.

Even the 'heavy root feeders' get a solid chunk of nutrients from the water column.

you want to aim for at least 1 watt per gallon for healthy plant growth, so the first thing i'd look at is upgrading your lights.

T5 (High output or just plain old t5) would be best.

i'm running only 40 watts total of T8 over a standard 55 gallon, without lids, and i'm seeing decent (but not stellar) plant growth on my swords, crypts, java fern, vals, anubias, etc. all low light/easy care plants. would love to get better lights on that tank but it's just not in the budget right now.

my 20 long has a coralife 65 watt bulb on it that is 50/50 actinic (actually a saltwater light, lol). grows the swords and java ferns nicely, without causing algae at all.

i keep lights on all my tanks for about 12 hours a day.

Bear in mind that the watt per gallon rule is all but toast. It doesn't apply much to anything beyond T8's. Par levels are what you are going for.

OP, you should be able to get a decent used T5HO fixture for a similar price as new T8 fixtures. $80 for a good double fixture if you shop around. If you upgrade, just get er done. Be advised that a double T5HO fixture over your tank will give you high light, but it will also give you options. You could run a single bulb, or if you have multiple plugs, have mid-day bursts or alternating bulbs running, etc.