Help With Math :p

Bang74

OK, new to salt and upgrading from canister to a sump.

I just have LR, LS and some cleaners for now (they were on the rock) looking at a loght bio load and maybe some easy corals one day.

My plan is to use a 33 tank for sump (that's the easy part) The tank is a 50 G

my problem is that after reading a thousand posts on the net I'm turned around on the specifics on the pumps and returns. I have a Laguna pump thats rated at 400 Gph, rough figures are 3' rise from sump to tank and 3' diagonal. I'v seen references to overflow that are "rated" and cautions not to over do it on flow rate but unsure how that affects my DIY plans... Anybody have a "off the shelf" design for these paremeters? or just some advice for my info overload...

Cheers

Edited by Bang74

I split the output/return into two and one goes to tank and other with a valve goes back into the sump. You then adjust the valve return to sump side until you have a flow to the tank side to your satisfaction. output at 400gal at zero rise may not be enough but I leave that to the pros here to advise.

Cheers