Reccomendations For A Reliable Heater And Thermometer

Hippoherder

I've got several heaters and 3 thermometers and I can't get any thermometer to agree on whatthe temp is in any tank. The heaters i have also seem to be unreliable. One thinks the lowest setting it has is for a discus tank and the others never seem to get to the temp that corresponds to the setting on the device. Can someone reccomend a reliable brand or method? Is digital better?

I like ebo-jagers. They haven't let me down yet, but there was a batch a few years ago that were kinda cheap. I think they've fixed that now and they are back to quality. Personally, I've never used a digital heater. I just don't see the need.

As long as your thermometers are withing 2 degrees I wouldn't stress it. I just use the cheap ones like disposables.

I agree with jcgd about the heater choice. I have at least 30 or 40 of them. I can set up a egg hatching tank for 82 degrees in a moment by just plugging in the heater. Right on to what it was set at before, over and over again. As far a thermometers, + or - 2 degrees may be fine for a standard fish tank setup but for hatching I don't want to exceed 83 degrees but want at least 82 for quick hatchout. I have at least 30 of the different cheap thermometers available in the LFS, but I bought two, but only really needed the one from Dynamic Aqua Supply in Burnaby BC.

http://www.dynamicaqua.com/thermometers.html#lab

Bought one of the 12 inch General Purpose Thermometers @ $15.50 to use to check all my thermometers and then I bought the 18″ PRECISION THERMOMETER $45.00 to check my 12 inch general purpose thermometer..... last year. Since then they still both read within 0.1 degrees of each other. Good stuff, accurate and repeatable but careful they are glass and can break easily. Play with the cheap ones and take out of the china cabinet the good one only if needed.

Regards

Ric