Anyone Use Vho?

Seems I'm suffering the ill effects of my 15 year hiatus. I picked up an older Coralife dual fixture that I reckoned was T5HO. But it's a 1/2" shorter than a T5 tube. The socket looks like it takes a small square nib over against two pins. Ring a bell with the sw community?

The VHO moniker is typically applied to T12 linear fluorescent lamps.

The bulb to fit your fixture is better known as PC or power compact. They are becoming obselete as they are overshadowed (har, har) by T5 HO. Allegedly PC's run hot and by virtue of their shape do not get along well with reflectors.

If the ballast is electronic (as opposed to magnetic) you may fire a T5HO with retrofit tombstones.

Ok. I read that VHO=T12 before, now that you mention it. But I checked out when I saw T12. I'm paying attention now.

I've heard/read people using PC and CFL (2G11) interchangeably... and CFL, referring to the little spiral fluorescents that screw into incandescent sockets. Sometimes the colloquial use of the terms makes them enigmatic. Thankfully, that hasn't happened to toilet paper.

The fixture is really light weight; it has a ~22ga wire on both sides of the frame that slide out to suspend the fixture - I reckon my Hagen Glos are ~12ga.

I assume I'll have to rip the fixture apart to change the tombstones anyways. How will I know if the ballast is electronic? Is weight any indication?

BTW: I miss your other avatar jewels

. How will I know if the ballast is electronic? Is weight any indication?

Yes the weight will give it away. Electronic are nearly weightless. Tar ballasts are , , ,well ,, ,full of tar.

BTW: I miss your other avatar jewels

Better than 1969 Miss Nebraska beef ?

miss_nebraska_beef.jpg

Thats to close to call