Hello!

marblesab

What a great forum! I discovered this site last night when I was doing some research on my new venture... saltwater! I have been doing freshwater for over 20 years. I have or have had tanks ranging in size from 2.5 gallon to 86 gallon, live plants, numerous types of fish and "critters" (clams, aquatic frogs, shrimp, etc) and even managed to successfully bred red belly piranhas several times.

However my new venture I'm not so seasoned with. I knew going in that it wasn't going to be quite the same, but I'm hoping that I don't fail miserably at it either! I did a ton of reading prior to getting my first saltwater tank, and just last week I made the leap. I found a great little tank (26 gallon) online that was fully established. I took every drop of water I could from the established tank, made the move successfully, and only needed a gallon to top the tank up when we got it home. (I've done something similar when I've purchased a used freshwater tank, and found that the recovery time for the tank was greatly diminished... so I am hoping that it will help thins new tank as well... only time will tell I guess!)

I have added a few cleaning crew members (3 snails and two crabs) the tank came with many red mushrooms (all of which are doing fabulous!) I know from my reading that many make the mistake of adding too much too soon... so I'm trying to control my excitement and avoid that mistake. My ammonia, ph, nitrate, nitrate, calcium etc levels all seem to be pretty good, the only one I'm really waiting to come down is the ammonia, but if it's anything like the freshwater tanks... only time and patience....!) I know that I would like to do a marine tank, but still not too sure what corals or critters to venture into. (more reading to come!)

Anyway I look forward to the knowledge I will acquire from everyone here, as well as I hope to drop some if needed!

Dawn