Growing Plants Emmersed Hydroponically

riverpirate

Has anyone had any experience growing any aquarium plants in a hydroponic set up?

It just seems like a lot of these aquarium plant nurseries must be doing it, hence the rock wool our plants come in..

I just have some extra pieces kicking aound and the weekend off so I may give it a try here for kicks.

I also just started some plants in dirt growing emmersed, So it mnight be interesting to see how they compare.

Any ideas here?

Edited by riverpirate

Well heres some pics of what I was talking about.

post-5826-0-74460300-1343579664_thumb.jpg

post-5826-0-89914100-1343579672_thumb.jpg

Have a t5ho sunblaster on top of the terrariun, and little cuttings of assorted plants sitting in rockwool. The rockwool is then wicking up a nutrient rich soluton. In theory, the plants will not have to use as much energy building the root system in search of nutrients. Allowing the plant to spend its energy for vegetative purposes.

I have a few Im trying out right now.

HC

dwarf HG

crypt parva

hellfire - forgot the scientific name (JGCD?)

Micro sword narrow leaf

And a mystery grass from the LFS

And a beautiful lilaca/ HC piece from aquaflora

Pondering on running a small powerhead coupled with an air bubbler in a small resevoir below this tray to keep the solution moving and well aerated. Might be a little over kill. But it should make sure fresh nutrients are available as the plants take them up so it will take longer to become defficient in one. ANd easier to adjust the parameters.