Finally Ei Dosing

Well finally got my poop in a group and made a trip to calgary to get my dry ferts together to get EI dosing. What a difference. After just five days, I'm seeing noticeable growth in my plants, and can actually watch oxygen bubbles coming off of my plants. And plants that were starting to be plagued with algae, are sprouting green growth free of agae. Hopefully got this balanced out now.

At first, all of the additional gas in the system made me think I had jacked the co2 too much, but the roseline sharks seemed to be fine and no one else seemed in distress. The roselines are usually my first indicator for co2 levels.

In my tank I get a light protein film from feeding shrimp, and it seems to keep gasses from breaking out to the surface. I was kind of wanting to remedy this with lily pipes, But this might work in my benefit. Keeping oxygen in long enough to fully dissolve, and not letting c02 gass off.

As well, I dosed hard the first day and followed up with a 50% water just to get levels up(and was due for a change). Immediately following, I had my apistogramma caucatouides looking like they are spawing. Formed up a couple pairs and established little territories that they are defending now. Was a cute lil show they put on that night. The female presenting REAL hard, slinking around and rubbing up on the male and trying to lure him over to her flower pot.

Here is a link to the chart I was telling you about.

http://www.gpodio.com/co2_chart.asp

It helps you figure out where your CO2 level is approximately.

I had always used a Skimmer to keep the surface clean. After all, you do want some gas exchange, especially after the lights go out, and an hour after they fire up

Thanks jay. I had come across a similar chart until someone had told me its not very accurate do to phosphates skewing readings. But I guess a rough idea is a little safer than choking the roselines....

So, I just checked ph and kh and Im in the green, a little to the high end but not too bad for just feeling it out I guess. Thanks man.

I just got a drop checker the other day too. Have been meaning to whip up a 4dkh solution to keep an eye on it.

And as for gas exchange, I keep a spray bar angled up agitating the surface, but not breaking water tension.

Next tank will definatley be outfitted a little more equipped. Skimmer, sump, undergravel returns, and a much better job hardscaping. Done DSM as well too.