Live Food?

DougAdel

I've been reading a lot more in to live food. Up until now I've been feeding a blend of flakes and frozen blood worms/brine shrimp once a week. I'm starting to think some live brine shrimp or something similar will be good for the colour and natural feel of the tank.

Which LFS in Edmonton A) stock live food and B) have a good reputation for it.

Or is this something where I will have to get a little 5g tank and raise my own?

Depends what you want.

Aquarium central has, live microworm cultures and live red wiggilers.

You can buy brine shrimp eggs and hatch them in a 2l bottle and a air pump.try to get 95% hatch rate or better.

Vinegar worms are hard to come by,I have never kept them,but some people on this site do.

Some members raise daphnia in 5 gallon pails or tanks

Do You just want live food or do you want live food small enough for fry to eat?

I am rather lazy and I find brine shrimp too much work (I dislike having to tinker with tanks/cultures on a daily basis unless fry are involved).

Vinegar eels are for very tiny fry, although they are by far the easiest to keep (I ignored mine for 5 months without problems)

I breed daphnia, microworms, and whiteworms. All are pretty easy and don't mind being ignored for a week or so if they are set up well.

I like daphnia because they swim and won't drown in water - excellent for the office tank over holidays.

Microworms sink and will go into the gravel, cories will find them if the sand layer is thin; and in a fry tank, they are easy pickings. Excellent for almost any variety of fry.

Whiteworms are bigger than microworms, my cories can eat them, but it takes them a bit. Good for conditioning bottom feeding fish.

LFS might carry some, but it may be easier (and cheaper) to find a member who has them. At least you know that they don't need special conditions to breed.

What are you thinking of feeding?

Thanks for the tips guys!

I'm not looking to feed fry (right now anyways...). I've just been doing some more research and I keep reading live food is better for natural behavior and colour.

My tank currently has an angelfish, bolivian ram, 4 rainbows, 4 platys and an albino bristlenose pleco.