Bad Parents Or Just A Fluke Baby?

AJanzen

So yesterday when I got home from work the gf and I were admiring her blue dolphin cichlids and how much some of them have grown when lo and behold there's a small (2cm maybe?) fry taking refuge under one of the rock caves. It was the only one we could find and probably for good reason as our Nimbochromis Livingstonii was circling the area like a hungry shark. Kinda surprised as I didn't think that our blue dolphins were breeding size yet (they're about 3-3.5 inches) and we hadn't noticed any of them not eating or building a nest, etc.. that would indicate mouth brooding. I'm assuming the fry is a blue dolphin as it as all blue... But don't have much experience with cichlid breeding as this is our first african cichlid tank. The only other fish in the tank are 3 strawberry peacock's (3-4 inches), the aforementioned livingstonii, and a pleco. I'm guessing that the parents weren't mature enough yet to properly mouthbrood and this fry was just a fluke that somehow didn't get eaten as an egg, hatched, and survived.

Any thoughts? Or could this be a peacock fry?

P.S. The fry is now safely in his own grow up tank where he is free from the constant threat of death.