Nitrate Test Kits - Api Vs. Nutrafin

flash_oesc

So, I've been in the hobby for about a year now. I have two tanks. I've been testing them both for a year now, and the NO3 has always been really high. I've tried 50% water changes, reduced feedings, lowering the stocking level, zeocarb...etc. Nothing can get the kit to stop showing blood red. Tested tap water, and it was clear. I haven't lost a fish in months, and even months ago, I only lost fish when my crayfish found a tasty neon tetra.

I recently bought a Nutrafin test kit, and tested my NO3, and it's exactly where I want it.

Today's tests

Tank 1

API 120+ppm

Nutrafin 10-20ppm

Tank 2

API 120+ppm

Nutrafin 20ppm.

I'm about to buy the strips to test a third type, and see which one it reads closer too. ANybody else had these issues, or something similar. I checked the shelf life, and lot numbers, and everything is less than 16 months old.

test strips have a reputation of being very unreliable. if any moisture gets to them they are useless, have a shelf life of 12 mon. max. and "difficult to interpret" according to many.

use the liquid test kits instead.

That is a big difference! Any chance your API kit is expired? There's a lot number on the top of the bottle, the last four digits are the month/year it was made. I think the nitrate bottles expire 2-3yrs later. Maybe you got an old one? You can take a water sample to your lfs and they should be able to test it for you and you can figure out which one is closer.

I did check the lot numbers, and they are not expired, only about 16 months old. I did bring a sample back to the lfs today when I was returning a pleco (10" long, way too big for my tank). The lady dumped it down the sink before it got tested :(

Not a huge deal, I'm sure the nutrafin is closer to the right answer. I have a crayfish that is growing and molting frequently, no fish loss, and a pleco that went from 1" to 10" this year. If the NO3 was that high, I'm sure there would be some adverse effects. I was going to buy the strips just to see which result it was closer too, but I refused to pay the $25.00 for a science experiment. I'll be back at the LFS Tuesday, so I'll have them test it then, just to be 100%.