Bacterial Bloom?

beautylovetruth

Man, you have ammonia/ammonium in you tap water. It is probably because your tap water is treated with chloramine, not chlorine. Chloramine is chlorine bound to ammonia. When you apply the conditioner, my guess is - it converts ammonia to ammonium and binds it with thiosulfate, but ammonium still remains in the water, just in a different, non-toxic chemical form, which, once processed by the filter bacteria, turns into nitrite anyway. Each massive water change ends up being massive surge of bound ammonium in the water and this is why, perhaps, after you change big part of water and add conditioner, you end up with a nitrite surge.

Try to age your water instead of adding the conditioner. Put the water into some pail and switch on aeration. Chloramine's half life in such conditions is about 30 hours. Means in 30 hours 1/2 will escape, in 60 hours 3/4 will escape and so on. If you keep it for a week (normal partial water change periodicity), 99% of chloramine will escape. Try to use this water and see what happens.

30 hours half life is for constant aeration. If you do not aerate, it probably doubles. Small air compressor is only 3 watts, so it is not any kind of electricity drain. I would say try it one and see what happens with the nitrite level. If it does not surge, here is your answer. Otherwise there is another reason.

Small air pump/power head running 24/7 if you want to age your water in barrels,

I suggest just doubling your dose of prime and doing your normal water changes,it takes up a lot less time and space

If you read the bottle of prime you can safely dose 4X the normal dose.....I have seen it dosed more than that with no real bad effects on the fish