Mini Fishrooms

AndyL

Hey folks,

Just finished a overhaul of my rack in the basement (prepping for new arrivals), got rather frustrated, since I can't quite fit as much in there as I'd like... Problem is we just don't have room for a fishroom! Right now my racks are located in a corner of the laundry room (4'x4' - 8' ceiling) A small rack that fits between the furnace and hot water heater roughly 3'x4' again 8' tall, and the plant propagation rack sits in a closet I "Stole" (Not that my wife is bitter) The sump barrels are kind of stuffed wherever I can fit them..

Just wondering if anyone had some ideas as to how to make more space for more water... I tried reducing the gap between the top of the tanks, and the rack above, from 10" to 7", gives me a little more room - but maintenance will become an issue if I have to reduce that any further. all the tanks (ok - they hold water and more than half say rubbermaid on them) are located to take up the full depth available. I'm now right up to the ceiling (necessitating a small step ladder).

Ideally I'd like to squeeze another 3-400g into the house I'm eyeing the space over the washer dryer at the moment, but I figured I should see if you guys had some ideas...

Andy

The setup is interesting to be sure, learned a lot from some guppy breeders who used everything from paint pails, tupperware, and garbage bins for fish rearing. I suppose you could say my system is largely based on their ideas / principles. (But I admit, I stole a few of smokeys idears too) I use Sponge filters in the tank, and a sump (on rollers - easy water changes) Pond pumps feed standard irrigation equipment over each tank, overflows are 50/50 drilled and syphon overflow style (http://waynesworldangelfish.com/automated_water_changes.htm)

A fair percentage of my racks are 4x2 rubbermaid containers, 10-16" tall, they are setup so the small end faces forward. Breeding pairs get real tanks (sizes range from 2.5 to 37g)

Pics are generally not possible with the racks, there's enough room to stand in front of them, thats about it. maybe I can combine a half dozen pictures into an overall view, but that's a lot of photochop work! I could grab a picture of the plant rack, but it's not much to look at - 2x4s, shoplights and rubbermaids, that's all you see...

Andy