300W Ebo Jager Not Shutting Off

dmac

I have a 300W ebo jager heater in a 105g tank. It also has a 40g sump where I keep my heater. This has been set up for about a week and I have not seen this heater off yet. It doesn't seem hot, it keeps the water around 72-75, but this light is always on. I have also tried one of the other 300w ebo's I have... same thing.

Any advice?

I would say that one 300W heater, to heat 150 gallons of water isn't enough heater. Most other 300W heaters (ebo jager being an exception) aren't rated for that high of a volume. If you have a second 300W, that you aren't using, try putting them both in the sump, one at each end and see if that makes a difference. In my 75 (I know, half your size) I had one heater, and it was always on. I put a second one in the tank, now neither light stays on very long.

Just my 2 cents...

I have a couple questions; if I may.

Does a 300 watt heater really draw 300 watts ? Given that amount with electricity delivered @ 12 cents a kilo-watt the price is 25 dollars a month.

Two heaters (stuck on) is $ 50.00/month.

Is there some serious evaporation going on here ? The flourescent lights on my tanks keep the water warmer than yours - a couple of degrees above ambient room temp. I realize your sump adds a great amount of surface area - but wow. Seems like a lotta juice.

For some solid info you need to measure. A killa-watt metre http://www.electricity-usage.com/Power-Meter/

would reveal true power draw.

Stick the heater in a tall glass of water - you should know right away.

Perfect. I will throw one more in when i get home tonight! The sump is just so small its tough to get the heaters in there together. How far apart should they be?

In my 75, I have one at each end. You don't want them side by side (unless that's the only option). If you can, one on each short side of your sump has them furthest apart from each other, and then they work together to keep the tank at the correct temperature.