Planning On A Pico Iwagumi

xeus_blackcity

Hello,

I am Raied and I have been into saltwater for the past year. Before that, I have had freshwater tank for like 12 years (goldfish tanks :P) but have never looked into planted tanks. Recently, iwagumi got my attention and have started to sort things out to build a pico (5 gallon) iwagumi. I am thinking of going ADA for substrate since I really don't want to spend much time on this tank (the reef tank takes enough time of mine :P). I want a set and forget type iwagumi.

So let me start off with few questions. Pardon me for being ignorant.

1. Is power sand absolutely necessary?? The bag seems to be very big and would be a waste to buy for such small tank.

2. Will 1 ecoxotic freshwater module be enough for this tank (possibly 12"x8"x8")?

3. What is the best (and least expensive) source of ADA product in Calgary?

Thanks in advance :)

Oh, here's a FTS of my reef tank:

DSC_8156_zps2e33790b.jpg

1 - powersand is not necessary. A lot of us go with an inert substrate like sand, Sil80 and fluorite

2 - depends. Decide what plants you want in there first and then figure out what light?

3 - the best and least expensive place for ADA product is to not use ADA products at all? Really you can get away with a lot... Though their tanks are very nice :)

1 - powersand is not necessary. A lot of us go with an inert substrate like sand, Sil80 and fluorite

2 - depends. Decide what plants you want in there first and then figure out what light?

3 - the best and least expensive place for ADA product is to not use ADA products at all? Really you can get away with a lot... Though their tanks are very nice :)

Thanks for the great advice :)

I was hoping to use ADA substrate only (rest of the stuffs will be DIY/other brands). Heard that ADA substrate is 2nd to none and grows plant really really fast. Suits me since I am an impatient person :P

And for the plants, I will definitely be using HC cuba for the carpet and possibly will place something long/red at the background. Really don't know much about the types of plant other than HC :$

In that case, power sand is still not necessary in a small tank depending on you substrate depth. From what I gather, it keeps the bottom layers from compacting and going anaerobic and possibly causing issues down the road. In a 5 gallon I don't think you'll have issues.

For plant selection, be very careful. Many plants will overrun a 5 gallon or even a 10 gallon. HC Cuba is a great choice. Some of the grasses work nicely in small tanks too.

The only thing I'm really concerned with is "set it and forget it" if you want über plant growth, you are going to need über trimming, maybe once every 2 weeks. Maybe look into mosses?

In that case, power sand is still not necessary in a small tank depending on you substrate depth. From what I gather, it keeps the bottom layers from compacting and going anaerobic and possibly causing issues down the road. In a 5 gallon I don't think you'll have issues.

For plant selection, be very careful. Many plants will overrun a 5 gallon or even a 10 gallon. HC Cuba is a great choice. Some of the grasses work nicely in small tanks too.

The only thing I'm really concerned with is "set it and forget it" if you want über plant growth, you are going to need über trimming, maybe once every 2 weeks. Maybe look into mosses?

Oh the trimming shouldn't be a problem :) By the set and forget, I meant I want to have enough time to enjoy it instead of keeping up with maintenance like daily water change and stuffs. Trimming would be a fun part :D

And thanks for the advice on power sand. :)