Geophagus Surinamensis Tank

herpetology!

So I recently upgraded my 30 gallon to a 45 bowfront. Right now I just have two less than half grown senegal bichirs (a male and female that are paired, just waiting on breeding...probably need to get bigger), a half grown Synodontis petricola (or maybe more than half, they are a small species) and of course the Geophagus surinamensis.

I originally bought 2 babies Geophagus, but one started heavily bullying the other and I got rid of the subordinate one, as I am pretty sure they were competing males. I then added 4 babies to the tank. One was bullied out already and another is on the process of being bullied. One isn't really growing but eats like a pig and doesn't get chased quite as much. The big male is digging pits and displays the black dot on his side for the other Geophagus. Ideally once I've got a pair of Geophagus I am confident are male/female, I'll get a much bigger tank for everyone. Right now they are all growing like crazy and there is plenty of room, so I'm not too worried about size for now. Any ideas on how I can tell when they finally pair up?

Also, if this male doesn't bond with any of these up and comers, will I have to just get rid of all of them and buy like 8-10 babeis to start over so they can pair? I'd really like to avoid that as this male is freaking gorgeous.

Thanks

yah I am finding the males are consistently a lot more territorial than virtually every source I've looked at will tell me. I mean it's fine cause of what's in the tank, more than half the time they don't care if he's all over them they just keep doing whatever they want. What I DO care about is trying to have a pair that breed for me. Right now, I'm tempted to just sell off every single one of theses idiots, get like 12 small geophagus and hope once again, for the third time, that one won't outgrow everyone and take over.

At least my bichirs are into each other (the 69 smelling, displaying, etc) even if they are too small yet!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...