Cichlids In An Outdoor Pond?

Marky

It can be done. I run a turtle pond in the summers. This year I also ran a pool to raise my snakehead fry in and plan to add another one this summer for my RTG and other monsters . Water temperature in a pond does not vary as much or as rapidly as the air temperature.

I have see it done with here in NB with mbuna and they got very large very quick in a pond setting vs fish from the same batch kept in tanks . Sunlight also makes the colours better/more intense. I've seen tropical SA's like Oscars as well. Just be sure to monitor temps closely toward the end of summer and get them back in before it starts to get too cold or things turn bad fast. You can also use a cover at night on smaller ponds to trap in heat and extend the season.

Hope that helps.

Edited by DevonC

To be honest in a smaller pond/outdoor tank partial sun alone will often keep it warm enough . Direct sunlight may over heat it . I don't use a heater,I actually had to add grubs for shade. To keep the heat down .

If u find a heater is necessary just plumb a black tube into the filter and coil it next pond in the sun. The sub will hear the black pipe and voila the filter pump now doubles as a heater with no extra cost. Covers/partial covers will also retain heat.