10g

Raven

Your post to me as i was looking for a smaller tank made me think other wise about it. Im keeping my 10g, and your clean vs algea tank has me thinking, lol. My first and unsuccessful spawn was in a clean tank..... that was quickly dritied from food and waste causing the amonia leaves to claim the lives of about 50 fry after their first week. The spwan was accidental, the female jumped outa the bowl i was using as i was looking for proper filteration and heating. I now have a spounge filter and a heater for the 10 g tank. Does the algea filled tank work that well? if so, what would i hae to do from before the spawn to as they grow to get a good algea growth. When the fry are free swimming i plan to be feeding them bbs. If the first hatch it be me 2 spawn, though ive made about 5 attempts at this. Whats your suggestions?

I had 1 Tank sitting in the sun for a couple of days (just make sure that it doesn't get too hot there) and then used a clean tank to hatch then once the fry were free swimming I transfered them to the tank that was in the sun. The best way to do it would be to fill the sun tank with a couple of inches of water to get the algae started. Once the fry are free swimming you just add them to the algae tank. You need to make sure that you have a good amount of oxygen in the algae tank. Or you can use a jar to get the algae started then just add the jar water to the fry tank at the free swimming stage to start the algae.

I discovered the algae thing by accident when my male started to eat his fry and I pulled him out into a betta kit container and he spit 8 of them out in the new container so I had to move him again and left the other one beside the clean tank. I thought I had lost them but wasn't sure. The next thing I knew I had these fry eating the algae that I let build up. Feeding them infusoria seemed help build up the algae as well. I am still experimenting with this algae thing to figure out all of the details on how I grew it so well in the plastic tank.

The whole sun thing might prove to be a challange, since all my tanks are down stairs. But ill get the 10 g set up and running with the lights and filter going, hopfully that will do something... or should i just have the lights and heater on? Im trying to minimze the power usage. I dontknow how often dad pays the bills, the last thing i need if the power to be cut cause of me :s anyway, you got anymore suggestions?

I would just try with the light and air running in it. Is it close to you other tank(s) and do they have a pump running on them? If so just use the one pump and a multi way valve to spit it and run it to the 10 gallon. That way your water doesn't go stale on you or get too much build up on the surface water.

OK thanks. Ill still use the clean bottom, with a jar method i used last time. But now ive also desided to wait till i sell my 4 females and get some smaller ones.