Mayan Terrors

JORG

How old were your ornatums when they started spawning? I have seven wild caught that are pushing four years old. They all scrap but the biggest male, around 12 inches, spawned with a female Texas ciclid. I removed her and he reacted by beating crap out of everyone. There are three males and four females in the group. They are in a 10 foot long 260 gallon tank and I have tried every trick I know to induce spawning, but no luck. Any suggestions??

Not sure how old they are .I originally got 5 w/c about 3 inches long from a Colombian exporter, the biggest is now around 7 inches. I just keep them in a 240 gallon tank with Tropheus , Stigmatochromis modestus,and some mbuna. Never had an aggression issue yet. I feed them only 1mm nls and some live food in season.

Edited by JORG

I never really checked 1 died and I have what seems like 2 pairs left ..once my busy season ends I will pay more attention to them and take photos.

• 2 months later...

Back to the original post.

IMO the Cichlasoma Urophthalmus look more like Amphilophus Hogaboomorum (Red Devil Complex).

Does anyone else think this?

Either way they are beauties!!

Here are some Hoga pic's;

post-5195-0-88455600-1457121178_thumb.jpg

post-5195-0-69435200-1457121188_thumb.jpg

Here are some Uro pic's;

post-5195-0-10522800-1457121371_thumb.jpg

post-5195-0-11476100-1457121376_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pikeaholic

Yeah looking at some vids and pics they could well be hogas. I guess Laif is better at identifying Africans.