Need Help - Algae Types?

vusua4me

appears like you got two types:

1) green spot algae - I find adding algae eaters like otocinclus or horned nerite snails works best can should probably reduce the light period as well

2) diatom / brown algae - this is a result of excess silicates from the gravel or rocks and can be quite common during the initial phrase of a tank. it generally go away as the mature matures and from water changes but adding algae eatersas mentioned above will help as well

What size tanks do you have what type of light are you using? how long are you leaving the lights on? how long as your tank been running?

Hi SKA,

It's 70G tank. 24" Height, with 6 T5HO x39W. Since i have the algae, i only turn on 4 of them. The light is mouting about 5" above the top of the tank. Light is on 7.5hours/day.

ADA substrate

Fer: fourish 2x per week

Excel: daily full dose, try to get rid of algae for about 1wk already.

Thanks

Edited by vusua4me

I would definely add some type of algae eaters; bristlenose pleco, otocinclus, horned nerite snails, amano shrimps, etc; and reduce the lighting period by an hour a day.

Is the algae only on the anubias? What other types of plants do you have in there?

Anubias tend to have algae issues when the lighting is too strong and / or they are in the open. You can also try positioning them in the shade as well but adding algae eaters will help greatly

Hung

Algae eating fish, shrimp and snails can really take a dent out of and algae issues you might have, but be careful eventually you might end up with a tank full of algae eating fish and nothing that you wanted. Focus on plant growth, find your balance with light/co2/ferts, the algae should disappear. Macros (NPK) might help, some believe that low phosphate might encourage algae. But doesn't really mater the cause of the algae, just get your plants growing. Put your light on a timer, if its not already. Do your weekly water change on the same day every week, same with ferts, dose on the same days. Don't skip any days, consistency really seems to go a long way with planted tanks.