sand sifting star or brittle star fish?

A sand sifting star will work but you really don't need it once you have an established tank. The bristleworms and other microfauna will move the sand around lots. How deep is the sand bed?

Don't buy a brittle star, they get big, hide most of the time and have been known to eat fish. The only brittle stars you want in the tank are the tiny ones that come in as hitch-hikers.

Connie,

Better bet than stars is use snails to stir the sandbed, specifically nassarius or cerith snails. It what I use in with my dwarf seahorses and they keep the bed fairly stired. I will most likely oreder a bunch more to place in my reef tank.

JMO

Edited by JSTR

depending on who you talk to they recommend 1-2 snails per gallon, I have them in a 10gall tank with 4 ceriths and 6 nassarius (these will breed and give lots more).

Unfortunately I havent found any in town here recently, If you do please let me know where, I need more ceriths.

Another option other than stars is a gobie or two, they wont do the whole tank but the area around they cave is very clean.LOL