New-ish fishkeeper!

Kevinbfenton

Hey gals and guys!

My names Kevin, 28, from Edmonton and started keeping fish in march. Had an old 33 gallon that I had kept some rodents in years ago so figured I would give African cichlids a go! 

I purchased a 4x2x2 tank just over a week ago with a red devil(decent story with this guy) some red head vieja, small green terror, synodontis eupterus and a Pleco that I'm wondering if I was sold a full on pleco rather than a bristlenose. I digress. I have a 55 with 12 africans, 3 petricola, 4 convicts and clown pleco hiding somewhere. Also have a 20 gallon salt with a chocolate/mocha ocellaris that was rejected from my 50 gallon salt, along with a very small regular ocellaris, there is a turbo snail and 2 "algae hermit crabs" (in quotes because I dont know the actual name)  

In the 50 salt are the other 2 matching ocellaris, a big female and small male; one yellow tail blue damsel, one blue damsel, one brittle star, 2 turbo snails, 2 red leg hermits 4 algae hermits and 1 algae blenny. 

Recently I made a few internal skimmers based off of joey from king of diy's design, with some adjustments. 

I think I got into the hobby because I have no friends around edmonton anymore. Need something to take up my time. 

Tl;dr

No friends so fish are my friends. Went big fast. No regrets. 

Welcome to the addiction and the board!  MTS is a serious disorder that pretty much everyone on here has suffered from:D.

I’ve beaten MTS once and currently have only one 120gal salt tank that is being rebuilt after sitting fallow for the last few years. 

Mts being more or monster tank syndrome? I recently shut down a 20 long and 65 for the 110 or whatever it actually is. I find myself wanting to do a cold water reef tank, and probably just monster fish. I dont know why but those central and south american cichlids really get me going. 

Thanks for the welcome! What ate you looking to keep? Salt water is still so foreign to me. Fish wise at least. Seems that there are not much that stay too small and dont need tons of room.

Multiple tank syndrome, but monster tank syndrome is also a problem.  I’ve found larger tanks are easier to keep stable in the saltwater world, even then stuff can go sideways in a hurry.  I’ve seen some pictures of pretty cool cold water marine biotope tanks, there are interesting animals in all parts of the oceans.

This tank will be an SPS dominated.  Picked up a dozen frags yesterday.  It will probably have a couple of rocks on the sand bed with some softies and few rock flower anemones.  Maybe a BTA, hopefully a clam or two in a year or so.  The fish list is pretty short, a pair of clowns, a dragonette of some sort, and a purple tang.  

• 4 weeks later...