Chemical filtration.

maligne

My niece has a 15 gallon fluval flex running. It's well balanced as far as stock goes with a peaceful healthy community.

She feeds them. She says she doesn't over feed them but, she's 10. (Kids will be kids.) I do all the tank maintenance with her. I have three large broad leaf anubius in there. Nitrates never make it past ten because I always run a good volume of purigen in there. The tank sits in her bed room and and gets a fair amount a direct and indirect sunlight through the day. Today I got tired of the distom battle and I put in a fair sized sack of fluvals activated carbon. I not worried about the anubius, I might lose a few leaves. No big deal. 

I don't have to change the water as frequently because of the large amount of purigen I run and the moderate stock in the tank. Will that lead to a build up of phosphates?

Is there a better way to deal with this? Silicate remover maybe? Or an additional clean up crew. I tried a nerlite snail. He didn't touch the diatoms and he died. Maybe ottocynclus? Or it I plant some fire moss in there would it out compete the diatoms for food? 

Any advice is always appreciated

Current stock. 4 salt and pepper cory cats. Three honey gouramis. One small killi fish and a large mystery snail.