You guys got me thinking

johnsmith

All the talk about SW tanks recently has got me thinking, what should I do with my new 90g...

The two things that have always kept me away from even considering going with SW are:

1. the cost of setting it up

2. the idea that the maintenance is way harder than FW

I know there are tons of articles on the web, but frankly it's a little much - I'm not really sure where to start or what sites are reputable.

So, could someone explain:

1. what equipment is needed for a FOWLR tank? ( I assume this is the cheaper way to go)

2. what type of maintenance schedule is required for a tank like this?

Thanks

Well now, those were the two this that lept me out of saltwater for the longest time - till one I had the disposable imcome and was shown the maintenance is really not any harder than freshwater.

The largest expences in starting up are the protein skimmer and lights and of course a good salt mix. The skimmer is a good idea either way and lights only really matter on a reef setup. You will need live rocks for the filtration (and live sand if you want), skimmer to remove excess waste. Lights to see your fish. And some form of water movement, as most saltwater fish require a strong current to orientate themselves.

The maintenance schedule is really dependant on what type of fish you keep and the stocking density of the tank. In other words you need to decide first on what you want then figure out the routine from there. Generally, a 10-20% water change every 2-6 weeks (depending on bioload) and fresh RO water top off for evaporation (I do it every week to avoid major changes in salinity).

The best way to approach getting into saltwater is to make a list of which fish you must have and which are only wants, then research the compatibility of all and decide which to get and in which order (order can be crutial in the survivability of some saltwater fish). Also decide on if you want fish only, fish only with live rock, or reef setup. "The Concientious Marine Aquarist" by Bob Fenner is an excelent source for what to look at prior to starting you first saltwater tank.

HTH

Edited by JSTR

I think the SW guys blow things out of proportion on the "difficulty" of keeping saltwater. In most ways its no different than FW. Gotta keep it an "elite club" like it was prior to the 90s.

In reality, you don't NEED a skimmer to run a saltwater tank (it sure helps keep w/c's down - and you've gotta remember water aint free when you have to add salt), you don't NEED super expensive lighting (giesman are nice, but there are many other brands which are much more reasonably priced). And there are often good deals on DIY retrofits & used equipment.

It's easy to get super technical, many reefers are tech junkies, but basically all you REALLY need in a tank is flow. Protein skimmers, calcium reactors, controllers, sumps etc etc etc are all nice to have and all - but it's just "gravy".

You could always start with a smaller tank to begin with, see how you like it - 10-20g tanks are easy to keep, and pretty cheap to setup. Out of my SW tanks (65 FOWLR, 30 Seahorse, mb5 and 6" cube) I still consider the mb5 (what my old 2.75 project turned into) my absolute favorite.

Andy

Edited by AndyL

I still consider the mb5 (what my old 2.75 project turned into) my absolute favorite.

Really, soon to be populated with the frags you poached from my 77gal reef. And no the new stuff isnt ready yet so hands off.

If you have been a confident FW keeper than the jump to salt isnt really that much, the only thing (the most important thing) is to research your purchases. Alot of really pretty colorful fish are the meanest SOBs out there and can quickly kill off and entire tank. As long as you look before you leap, so to speak, you should be fine with the transition.

I found that once my tank was set up really well it was easier to maintain than my FW. The main difference I have found is that you need to think of a SW tank as more of a complete ecosystem that should be able to function pretty much on its own. The ease of keeping detrivores and algae eaters and scavengers really make it quite easy. You just need to get the right balance for your tank and livestock.

Oh, and patience. One step at a time.

Edited by CptCleverer

Actually they went in the 6" cube (that's why I picked the smallest frags).

I thought you were shuting the tank down and moving it into your MB5 till the new mighty MB7 was ready.

Thinking bout that MB7 makes me wanna get a second on for a nanoreef, but alas need to finish big ref first.

The ease of keeping detrivores and algae eaters and scavengers really make it quite easy. You just need to get the right balance for your tank and livestock.

Just watch that the fish you get dont eat these helpful critters.

Oh, and patience.

I second, third and fourth that remark. Nothing worse than ruining a great tank by stocking too quickly and throwing the balance off.

Actually they went in the 6" cube (that's why I picked the smallest frags).

I thought you were shuting the tank down and moving it into your MB5 till the new mighty MB7 was ready.

No, once corals grow in a bit better, and things stabilize the cube will eventually end up at work... One of these decades (oh and I gotta build some kind of platform for the light to sit on), gotta quit adding more to it for that to happen.

MB5 will run until the 7 is ready for action, just assembling the required parts to do that, and coming up with a good plan for the closed loop to keep all the equipment out of the tank.

Andy

I think the SW guys blow things out of proportion on the "difficulty" of keeping saltwater. In most ways its no different than FW. Gotta keep it an "elite club" like it was prior to the 90s.

In reality, you don't NEED a skimmer to run a saltwater tank (it sure helps keep w/c's down - and you've gotta remember water aint free when you have to add salt), you don't NEED super expensive lighting (giesman are nice, but there are many other brands which are much more reasonably priced). And there are often good deals on DIY retrofits & used equipment.

It's easy to get super technical, many reefers are tech junkies, but basically all you REALLY need in a tank is flow. Protein skimmers, calcium reactors, controllers, sumps etc etc etc are all nice to have and all - but it's just "gravy".

You could always start with a smaller tank to begin with, see how you like it - 10-20g tanks are easy to keep, and pretty cheap to setup. Out of my SW tanks (65 FOWLR, 30 Seahorse, mb5 and 6" cube) I still consider the mb5 (what my old 2.75 project turned into) my absolute favorite.

Andy

Exactly....

I have 2 nanos currently running 1 has cheap 55w pc lights a powersweep powerhead and AC mini thats it. Once it is set up it is easier maintaining than my FW. I cannot keep a FW plant if my life depended on but corals are no problem :huh: It is a hobby that can get outta hand every day/week/month you can go out and buy bigger and badder to get better yields. Just start out small and ghetto and find your out for self. If the wife would give me the word all the FW would be ripped down tomorrow and changed to SW

Here is a pic of my cheap 20g thats was on a tight budget overseen buy the wife (she had doubts too)

1year.jpg

oh and a little video too :)

20g video

Exactly....

I have 2 nanos currently running 1 has cheap 55w pc lights a powersweep powerhead and AC mini thats it. Once it is set up it is easier maintaining than my FW. I cannot keep a FW plant if my life depended on but corals are no problem  :huh: It is a hobby that can get outta hand every day/week/month you can go out and buy bigger and badder to get better yields. Just start out small and ghetto and find your out for self. If the wife would give me the word all the FW would be ripped down tomorrow and changed to SW

Here is a pic of my cheap 20g thats was on a tight budget overseen buy the wife (she had doubts too)

Very nice tank and sweet video!

What exactly do you have in your tank for equipment? You run a filter? Is that for water flow or do you actually have media in the chamber? What are 55w pc lights? I have a 10G that I just setup with an AquaClear 301 powerhead, AC150 filter (no media). I'm a marine newbie but would like to keep some corals in my 10G as well but am trying to sort out the light issue.

J

Edited by JHG

Very nice tank and sweet video!

What exactly do you have in your tank for equipment?  You run a filter?  Is that for water flow or do you actually have media in the chamber?  What are 55w pc lights?  I have a 10G that I just setup with an AquaClear 301 powerhead, AC150 filter (no media).  I'm a marine newbie but would like to keep some corals in my 10G as well but am trying to sort out the light issue.

J

Thanks

2 50w heaters 1 keep one at a little lower temp in case 1 craps out then the back up will kick on. The powersweep 212 has the foamy on it and the mini has foam and carbon. 55W power compact lights PC lights except mine are 55w. I keep frogspwans, hammers, candy canes, zoos, mushrooms, ricordia. Start out with like mushrooms and other LPS. I would do mushrooms first you can get them for next to nothing on canreef. BUT do research 1st you can never learn to much

HTH