Disease or Bite?

Mighty Prawn

So seemingly in the span of an afternoon, one of my fish either got bit, or has some kind of disease. It's on her back, right above her tail. (Female red twinbar platy) At first it just looked like some broken skin, but I didn't think another Platy could have done that kind of damage. I immediately put her into a hospital tank, and I'm sure the stress is also making it worse. She doesn't eat any more, either.

Now after 3 days, the white mark is like a big blob, almost like some fibres or a piece of cotton ball is sticking out of her skin. From what I've found on the net, it seems like some kind of fungus. Now I am going to go get some kind of appropriate medicine.

Now another question, should I dose my community tank though no one else is exhibiting any symptoms.

Please help, and thanks in advance.

-Hideo

If it's fungus, don't dose your whole tank. Fungus is ALWAYS in your tank water, it is opportunistic....it only becomes a diesease on open wounds, like what your fish has. (Notice uneaten food gets fungus on it after a day or so?) And they say Ick is also always in the water....but that's another story.

Just treat your fish and not the community tank. Without pics, no one can tell what caused the wound. Usually a fish with an external wound would still eat normally, so I wonder if this is something else? But since you moved her, maybe that's why she won't eat. Pretty hard to tell. Have pics?

Fungus is an opportunistic organism - it is likely that your platy did start off with an abrasion of some sort, it's immune system couldn't hack it, and it then got infected by the fungus which lives naturally in your tank. I would not dose your main tank, only your hospital tank with the platy in it.

Good luck!